Default I painted the screen on my bottom board...bad?

While painting my bottom board I got some paint on the screen and figured what the hell and painted the whole screen lightly front and back with exterior latex paint. Just read that I'm not supposed to. So how bad is this? Should I try to remove it?

Default Re: I painted the screen on my bottom board...bad?

Looks like you have too much fun today. I think it is o.k. as long as it still serve its purpose. It is not a bad or a good issue here. If everything is covered up then might as well use a solid bottom. You have to look at the efficiency of using this screen as well as the usefulness of it. If it defeats the purpose of what a screen should do then might as well change it. Remember to not go overboard the next time around, eh?

The only thing I see is you may have made the holes smaller and possible preventing some hive beetles from falling through.

It was a light painting. My line of thinking was to help keep it from rusting. I know it's galvenized but even that rusts.

braz.... you will be fine NOT painting the screen. Galvanized exposed to all mother nature can throw at it will last for years.
    Under the hive, not exposed to the elements will probably outlast you! lol
    The bees will propolize it before it has a chance to rust out.

I wouldn't worry too much about removing it. Most exterior latex paints won't adhere to galvanized metals very well especially without a special primer.

A lot even scraped off with a wire brush. I'm not worrying about it. How many coats of paint do you guys like on your hives? I primed them and have one coat of exterior paint. Should I put another on or call it good?

Quote Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post
    Should I put another on or call it good?
    I always do 2 coats. They are easy to paint. Just place a 2x4 between two saw horses, slide the box over the 2x4 and turn and paint!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

One coat primer, two coats paint. I use a 4" foam roller. Best quality exterior latex you can afford.

I use the best quality latex that's in my garage. :P

If its good enough for my house, vs good enough for the bees!

If you don't mind the color, you can pick up mis-tint paint at the box stores for cheap. These are the usual brands they carry that someone rejected due to the color being wrong. Sadly, various shades of mauve appear to be the ones I see most often right now, and I'm not quite ready for pink hives, but John Deere Green and milk chocolate are fine. $5 a gallon, occasionally $7.50 for $30 paint, not a bad deal if you can live with the colors. The bees don't care.

Two coats of high quality exterior paint. This is NOT the place to save money -- doing the job properly costs maybe 75 cents a box, vs buying or making a new box in five years rather than re-painting the ones you have. Properly painted pine boxes, kept painted well, should outlast the beekeeper. Let them get mangy and you will be replacing them far too soon.

Peter