Default Question-Plasticell foundation with wedge top bar frames

First year beekeeper here-- I've seen contradicting advice on how to install plasticell foundation (no wires) with wedge top bar frames. It's too late for me to switch to groove bar, so I'm wondering if I should either

a) remove the wedge, assemble frame, nail wedge back to top bar
    b) not bother removing the wedge (my concern is potential hive beetle space in the groove though)
    c) Assemble frame with foundation without removing wedge and just nail it down, removing the gap created by wedge groove
    d) all/none of the above!

Also, do you snap out the triangular perforations or leave them in place?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Default Re: Question-Plasticell foundation with wedge top bar frames

I snap the foundation in without removing the wedge then staple the wedge down.

sometimes i snap the corners off but most of the time i leave then on. depends on how im feeling that day. I never noticed a deference either way.

if you can get the wedges off without breaking them then do that. Once the wedge is out its way easier to clean the old groove area out. Pop the new sheet in and renail the wedge.

I was given about 240 wedge frames this year for free. So....I really wanted to use them, usually I use the groove type as well. The bottom bars are slotted(notched all the way through). I invested in a Wal*Mart $35 nailer/brad tool. I just nailed down the wedge(5-6 nails) without removing it so it would not break off and instead, stay in place to hold the foundation.....works great! Makes quick, quality work of assembling frames. And for the bottom bars I will use crown staples to nail the slot together in order to hold the foundation from falling through. The plasticell(I use it also) snaps in just fine. Good luck, let us know what you decide and how it works, it's always good to hear what others try/do. juzzerbee

throw away the wedge, cpl staples... gives you 2 more rows of cells... as for removing corners, That is handy when replacing in old frames gummed up... other than that I leave them in.....