Default preparing to swarm

I have a weak hive that was almost lost to beetles last fall. I didn't have a extractor so I pulled all my suppers,and put in the freezer. I have been feeding this weak hive medium frames of honey this winter so I have ended up with a lot of medium frames in a deep brood box. The bees have built a lot of drone cells on the bottom of this medium frames. Sunday I removed a swarm cell frorethrebottom of a frame. The hive has plenty of room to expand ,and they don't have allot of honey stones. So why are they trying to swarm. Can I pull them out of this box,and add a new queen. Will this make them think that they have. already swarmed?

Default Re: preparing to swarm

is it a swarm cell or supercedure cell,, just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by beegeorge View Post
    is it a swarm cell or supercedure cell,, just a thought
    It had to be a swarm cell because it was on the bottom of the frame. The queen has layed a complete pattern of drone cells on the new cone that the workers have built on the bottom of the medium frames, but maybe two frames of worker brood. I have queens coming from Don at Dixie bees Friday. This queen will be replaced. This hive is getting ready to hatch a lot of drones,and had a swarm cell about 8 days old. I do not want these bees to leave with what should be the best queen that I have ever had.

Location of the cell doesn't mean anything most of the time. They build it where they can build it....

I didn't know that jrg. I thought that if you see the cell up in the middle of the frame then they are requeening,and the swarm cell would be near the bottom. Does the number of drone cells mean that they are preparing to swarm. How can I help my chances of them not taking off with my new queen that I will be pitting in this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by dphillipm View Post
    I thought that if you see the cell up in the middle of the frame then they are requeening,and the swarm cell would be near the bottom.
    That's generally true, but not always true. It's also generally true that if they are going to swarm, you'll see several swarm cells, not just one (or two). Location of the queen cell is just one clue of what the bees might be planning, you have to examine all the clues to get a better picture.

>It had to be a swarm cell because it was on the bottom of the frame.

I guarantee, if the hive is not crowded and is not growing that was a supersedure cell. Location means very little. Context means everything.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfallaci...mcellsonbottom
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by dphillipm View Post
    Does the number of drone cells mean that they are preparing to swarm.
    I hope you didn't witness a laying workers and ruined your only chance of supersedure.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

A lot of drones can mean many things. In a booming hive it means it swarm season, but not necessarily that hive is swarming. In a dwindling hive, it means the queen is failing or has failed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

bees don't always go by the book, and almost anything is possible.

i agree with the other posters, and as a side note, i haven't noticed any swarm preparations in any of my 12 hives yet here in northeast alabama.

it would be more likely that they were superceding at this time.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives