Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these?

Default What are these?

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

There are a bunch of these in front of one of my hives. They clearly have a bunch of bee parts in them. If you think it is feces then from what, we do have coons and opossums in the area no skunks. They are feather light. What do you think?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Default Re: What are these?

http://icwdm.org/inspection/Scat1.aspx

Try looking on this site to help identify scat. My guess is raccoon.

Look under the hive... you have any large toads around? I would go with possum if anything though.

Due to the fact there are insect parts in them and they are so small.... I'm saying toad feces.
    Opossum would be 4-5 times that size.

Probably one of the many kinds of lizard that live down there.

Does not look like scat to me.

Looks to me like something ate bees sucked the juices and spit out the bodies, It does not appear to be digested.
    My guess is a opossum, skunk or raccoon. Do you have claw scratches on your hive? They will scratch the hive to get the bees to come out, and then eat them. I hear they can eat thousands a night.

A top entrance will stop this. A few rat traps might deter them.

A game camera will verify it.

I don't think toad or lizard its still to cold for them I haven't seen one in my yard since last year although I do have them. Skunks are out no skunks down here. I do have coons and opossum I have seen both in my yard. Whatever it is it must be regergetaded because it doesn't look like it came from the other end. No scratches on hive, the hive is 20 inches off the ground.

Reptile scat.....

th.jpeg

that's exactly what i find in front of my hives when the skunks have been chewing on my bees.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Kinda curious about why you can be so sure of not having any skunks around? Not disputing your word, just wondering.

We had skunks were I grew up and even if you didn't see them every once in a while you would smell one.
    I have lived in the same area for over 30 years 10 of which I was the animal control officer for our county. I have to this day never seen or smelled a skunk.

Lucky
    thats the way i roll.

Looks like something on kitchen nightmares...ugh

i keep one of these in the bee yard. i catch more opossums than skunks. the 'possums get translocated down the road a ways, the skunks get submerged in the creek for about 20 minutes and then become buzzard food.

http://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ADC6

Peg use a gun please.

i have a few times, mostly when my dogs pen them up in the culvert at the end of my driveway.

but i think drowning is more humane, and there is no spray, as the trap keeps the skunk from raising its tail.

DOW here in Colorado told me to dispatch them with a .22 or drown them, tried drowning seemed cruel as hell, much easier to use a sheet and walk up to trap and shoot right into head. I've already had to deal with a pregnant female this year. Normally have to deal with half a dozen a year between the bees and chickens.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

if you look at the trap i linked to in the above post, you can see that there is no way to shoot unless you release first, and that's not something i am interested in trying.

it's pretty straightforward, just tie a rope to the cage and chunk it into the water.

a neighbor has trapped a couple recently in an open wire cage, the skunks sprayed upon being shot, very nasty clean up involved.

i hate to kill anything, i don't even hunt. but i make an exception for skunks.

I loaned a couple of wire traps to a fellow one time to deal with a bad skunk problem. Told him how to drown them without getting sprayed, but he decided shooting would be easier. Shot my traps up so bad one was unusable. Whatever the perp is, don't shoot it in the trap, don't take a chance on it escaping by turning it loose and then trying to shoot it, they always move a heckuva lot faster than you expect, and don't release it somewhere to become someone else's problem. They've doubtless got plenty already.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    if you look at the trap i linked to in the above post, you can see that there is no way to shoot unless you release first, and that's not something i am interested in trying.

it's pretty straightforward, just tie a rope to the cage and chunk it into the water.

a neighbor has trapped a couple recently in an open wire cage, the skunks sprayed upon being shot, very nasty clean up involved.

i hate to kill anything, i don't even hunt. but i make an exception for skunks.
    I don't hunt anymore either but we're not given a choice here, if you have a skunk on the premise you're to dispatch it due to rabies concern. I use a wire trap and an old Bob the Builder blue top sheet from when the boys were young attached to a 30" 1 x 2 and I honestly think they don't know what I am when I approach to the point they put their head right up to the trap and I stick my Ruger semi auto up to their head and pull trigger. I found the empty Purina chicken feed bags make excellent disposal bags too and contain what little smell they might make. To each his own on how to deal with these pest. I don't begrudge anyone or their means of dealing with them.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary