Default Leftover Honey on hive?

I was busy with something else last year and didn't have time to take the fall flow honey or reduce my hives going into winter. Last week I worked them when it was warm and pulled off 6 medium honey supers full of honey (and still left plenty of capped honey for the bees). I redistributed some honey to a couple of weak/light hives and don't know what I should do with the rest. I'm guessing some of the honey has probably crystallized, but I know some is still liquid. Should I extract this old honey? What do you all do if you have a lot left over after the winter? All 8 hives made it through the winter without any help from me

Default Re: Leftover Honey on hive?

If you want to extract it you can. No reason not to. If you want to save it for splits that fine too. Leaving it on hive for the winter would not have hurt the honey any other than you might have to warm it up enough to liquify to extract.

If you have shb take precautions if you decide to store it.

Ed

How should I store it if I wanted to wait and extract with the spring flow?

Put it in a trash bag and freeze until you need it then take out of freezer and allow for thawing and loss of humidity in a cool dry place , mouse and moth proof.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Freeze it good and then store it in a way that "bugs" can't get to it...or just leave it in the freezer. It's not the beetles you're really worried about but rather their eggs which turn to larvae which slime your frames...freezing kills the eggs (and any other hidden critter).

Ed