Default When is SPring flow and swarm season?

When does your Spring flow and swarm season start? Just interested in the start of different parts of the country.

Default Re: When is SPring flow and swarm season?

I have been asking that question myself, and so I like to check the "swarm dates" and "bloom time" sticky note topics. Hope this helps.

Look up your flow on NASA's hive scale site. Swarming season would be usually right around primary flow, but bee's sometimes don't follow the usual.

http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sites/national_map.htm
    Your inferiority complex is better than mine.

Here in North Fl. Swarm season will start around the first or second week of March. Depending on the weather we will get a flow from the Maples in Jan. and early Feb. the bees build up good on that flow. Then the flow stops or just trickles along through March then the main flow will kick into full swing in April once the Gallberry starts to bloom. The flow will continue until the first part of June. Gallberry, Palmetto, Tallow, and Blackgum makes up the majority of the flow. Then from June through the end of July can be a dearth until the Cabbage Palm starts blooming. If you don't have any Cabbage Palm around it can be a dearth from June all the way through late September. YMMV

Here is lower South Carolina it has apparently begun. I had a large swarm leave one of my hives this past Sunday. Unfortunately, it spent a short time in a pine then headed west!

Dallas area and northeast Texas is starting now. Swarm calls will come the first week of April most likely.

The spring flow for the Chicago area starts in the beginning of May. Here is a graph from last year.
    Gain2012.jpg

Starting now for my area. Just south of Dallas. Vetch is just starting to bloom. Mine mostly depends on Mesquites. Last year they bloomed from April to June and even saw some blooming in August. It's mostly a mid-late May and June bloom. Though just 40 miles east the Mesquites are totally different. They only seem to bloom for a week or two at best.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Bluebonnets bloom real heavy here. And just started this week. Though I am not sure if they are a good nectar source or not. They are bringing in lots of red BB pollen right now.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

MAY AND JUNE swarms and flow.
    Can't wait.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Typically late April to late May here, but last year they were done swarming for the spring by the first week of May and lots of people had small swarms in September, which no one remembers before.

This year is likely to be later, as it's below freezing again tonight and not going to get above 50 again for another week if the forecast is correct, so nothing will be busting out into bloom. I'm figuring early May with splits sometime in late April, although that will be determined by the presence of emerging drones.

Pete

Even though it's been cold and wet lately, the flow has begun here in Charlotte, NC. Suddenly bees are flying in and out with a determined purpose, unrelenting, and the smell of pungent nectar and pollen emanates from the hives. Right now the smells reminds me of the aromas of the fall nectar. Bradford pear trees, yellow bells, and dandelions are blooming right now. Suddenly drones are on the front porches of the hives and finding their way onto the inner screen covers. Temps dipping down to the '20s at night, but it's warming slowly and by next week I expect swarm cells.

I'm in SE Nebraska. In town the first blooms (early fruit trees) are about 1 Apr. In the country it's 15 Apr. The main flow in town is usually about 1 June. In the country it's usually about 15 June.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I'm in SE Nebraska. In town the first blooms (early fruit trees) are about 1 Apr. In the country it's 15 Apr. The main flow in town is usually about 1 June. In the country it's usually about 15 June.
    Hey, Michael, a professor at a recent meeting told us that once the nectar flow begins it is always 8 weeks regardless of if the flow is early, late or right on time. Has this been your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckH View Post
    Unfortunately, it spent a short time in a pine then headed west!
    I'm in Manning, SC..........I did not see it pass me by!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

>Hey, Michael, a professor at a recent meeting told us that once the nectar flow begins it is always 8 weeks regardless of if the flow is early, late or right on time. Has this been your experience?

Ours usually runs until a few weeks after the rain quits. Sometimes that's four weeks after it starts. Sometimes that's 16 weeks after it starts...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF