Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Need some advic

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rader Sidetrack 
#1 ·
This is my first TBH. I wanted everything to prefect and I worked to get everything right. I got the bees Tuesday, temps were 65 when I started the install. I quickly realized that the small jar feeder wasn't going to work . They needed feed and they needed it quickly! Temps were going to drop for the next few days into the 40 & 50s during the day. So I found a tray and filled it with pine needles and poured a half gal of feed into it.. I took the spacer board and drilled five large holes in it. I closed up the screen bottom board and closed down the entrance to allow them some protection from the other hives. The queen cage was hung between two bars. I want to ck on the but don't want to harm them with the cool temps. I have so many questions. How cold is too cold? Because I will need to make sure the queen has been released . How long before I can see signs of wax being drawn? Did I mess up by drilling holes in the spacer board and how can I correct this mistake... Any suggestions would be wonderful.. Thank you.

#2 ·
I don't see a problem with opening the hive to check on them with temperature in the 50s. They are not likely to build comb beyond the divider board even with holes in it, but if you want to plug the holes anyway, corks are one option.

My bees festooned very quickly, and presumably started building comb. But I couldn't see any comb because there was a mass of bees covering it. I assumed they were working hard, and after a while they had moved lower and I could then see comb. Keep that feeder full til they slow down taking it.

Once the queen has been released, remove that queen cage. Hanging it between bars increases the likelihood that they may build comb starting from someplace other than the comb guide on the top bars.

#5 ·
Don't worry about them so much you will be surprised how easy this is they do all the hard work. They will stop taking the syrup and I mean completely when they find other sources and they will. In two days mine started four combs and I mean they can build fast when the time comes to work. Like I say you will be surprised when you open the box. Here today it is 43 degrees here today and I have a few hives flying. Have confidence bees have been around alot longer than we have.

#6 ·
Can you hear me squeal???? It is 54* and I decided to check on them. To my surprise (and delight) the queen has been released and they have started comb on 4 bars.. Two have half a grapefruit size and the other two were a little large than an egg! They had taken almost the entire 1/2 gal of sugar water, so I filled it up again... Well, now I can take a break from worrying and start enjoying this new venture! I am sure I will have a 1000 more questions for you but thank you all... QB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.