Hybrid View

Default Checked bees for the first time this year one hive completly empty, no bees or honey

Checked my bees this year and found one hive out of my 2 is completely empty. There is no honey, bees nothing. They just simply disappeared. They were very stong and healthy over the summer ( installed in April of 12). There are no bee bodies. Is this CCD? Is it ok for me to install a new package of bees using the drawn foundation? I am planning on putting in 3 new hives this year. Should I give all 3 some of the drawn comb? Any worry of disease?

Default Re: Checked bees for the first time this year one hive completly empty, no bees or ho

Just speculating here, but often a busy hive in fall, followed by an empty hive in spring is a sign of varroa mites. The bees are somehow able to keep the dead cleared out until the last minute. The honey could have been robbed. I would check for guano deposits on the inside of brood cells (small white clumps) and also sift through the bottom board debris and look for mites. If you find any dead bees, look for deformed wings. If you find evidence of many mites you can rule out CCD and reuse the equipment. It could be something else as well, but that is where I would start.
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"

Default Re: Checked bees for the first time this year one hive completly empty, no bees or ho

Thanks for the reply.. I actually treated them with powered sugar around November. I will have to brink a deep in a check it out. So if you have ccd you cannot reuse anything?

PS is not a treatment.

Here are some pictures of what I found after further inspection today. Lots of pollen and some bees that have died trying to hatch. Also some moth damage. I see lots of brown specs in the remains on the bottom board. I tried to get good pics of them but don't have the greatest camera in the world. So what do the pros say, starve out, mites, ccd other? My other hive actually has Nosema and was treated today. I no not see any signs of Nosema from the dead hive.

DSCN0976.jpgDSCN0977.jpgDSCN0978.jpgDSCN0979.jpgDSCN0980.jpgDSCN0981.jpgDSCN0982.jpgDSCN0983.jpgDSCN0984.jpgDSCN0985.jpgDSCN0986.jpgDSCN0987.jpgDSCN0988.jpgDSCN0989.jpgDSCN0990.jpg

Looks like plenty of mites in the debris, I would say that was a key factor.