Default First Queen Castle...how to feed?

I bought a Bushy Bee queen castle...4 slots, 2 frames maximum or could divide in half. Will be inspecting a hive down the road and my own today and tomorrow...if I find uncapped queen cells I want to bring over and raise a few. Not into grafting yet...just starting and into how to take care of, transport and eventually give or sell to others. I've read the sites, asked some questions and appreciate everyone's help.

Question now...how to feed? Say I get 4 queen cells I'll probably take the entire frame or cut out and put on to an emptier frame, what should the other frame be? Pollen and sources? (like a nuc)? I will bring nurse bees I am sure who will attend to her...foragers won't stay, right? They will fly back to the hive.

I'm not expecting too much this season except to learn by asking and trying so bare with me and thanks! I have 5 nucs from splits and yesterday I heard roaring for the first time... I thought I had a swarm! I realized finally there was probably some queen action going on in one of the nucs. I am not touching them now. They settled and I never saw a swarm.... so exciting!

Off for a hike, thank you and enjoy your Saturdays wherever your are!

Default Re: First Queen Castle...how to feed?

Resources yes- Pollen/honey is good. If the cells are capped, no need to feed if on a flow. We drilled holes in the top inner covers and fed with jars. Surround the top with another hive body.
    karla

Thanks, not much response on this one. I read on M.Bush site one frame honey, one frame brood. No room to graft a cut out queen cell or maybe I am interpreting the purpose of a queen castle wrong. Is it just to hold the queens and let them mate after they are either hatched out in a nuc or taken from a hive to stimulate that hive to raise more queen cells?

Today I want to try the Miller method of creating queen cells but on top of a queen right hive. Brood is on the bottom, then honey medium and I understand if I put a queen excluder on top of that and a frame of brood plus my miller cut foundation bees should create queen cells in a week. Thoughts? I'm going to try.

Also am prepared if I find queen cells today in my hive inspections coming up I'll try and cut one out and put in a queen castle on a frame of brood, plus one frame honey pollen hopefully and see where that goes.

This year is about learning only and having a few back up queens to play with... thanks.

>Question now...how to feed?

Usually I give each one a frame of capped honey and I don't feed.

> Say I get 4 queen cells I'll probably take the entire frame or cut out and put on to an emptier frame, what should the other frame be? Pollen and sources? (like a nuc)?

A frame of brood and a frame of honey makes a nice two frame nuc.

> I will bring nurse bees I am sure who will attend to her...foragers won't stay, right? They will fly back to the hive.

Yes, so I would shake the bees off of another frame of brood into the nuc.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF