Thread: Queen flew off?

Default Queen flew off?

I installed a few packages the other day and was checking to make sure the queens got out of the cage(s) today. I picked up one of the cages from the hive, and it looked like the bees had gotten through the sugar not too long ago. The queen came out of the cage and flew off.

Any chance of her coming back to that hive? I gave them a frame of brood from another hive just in case.

Default Re: Queen flew off?

> I gave them a frame of brood from another hive just in case.

Hopefully that frame included some larva or eggs. If the brood is capped that won't help with queen issues.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

I did the same thing last year i watched as she flu off in to the west and never came back.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    I did the same thing last year i watched as she flu off in to the west and never came back.
    Mee too. :-/
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I was told if that happened to stand still for a few minutes as she may change her mind and if it looked different (ie the hive was closed) she may not recognize it. A tip I heard was to mist her before she came out to prevent her flying. Another tip was to replace the plug in the cage with a soft marshmallow when the queen is at the other end of the cage and they will release her in a few hours - of course this wouldn't be convenient for someone with dozens of packages to install.

This will not help you much but may help others who read this. Yes stay there and don't change the apperarance of the area, like colsing the hive or by walking away or moving on to another hive because she may orient ( orientation flight ) her self before landing back at the hive, so give her time it won't cost you much and it may save your queen.

I stay put for at least 10 minutes or until I see her come back. Leave the lid open so she can smell the hive. Take a frame of bees out and shake them back into the hive. They will go to the top bars and start nasanoving which will help guide her back.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had one fly like that last year, I did like Michael suggested and saw her when she flew back in. It was a little nerve racking thinking I had lost a queen that I'd just bought. I was so relieved when I saw her fly back into the top of the hive.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Michael, that shaking off of the bees is a great idea.

I've had that happen with good and bad results. Sometimes, I think they fly up or off and come right back but I didn't see her. I get concerned for a couple of days and then I either find her or I see eggs. Not always but sometimes. I guess what I'm saying is that even though you saw her fly off and you believe she never came back, you should work hard to be sure that she's not in the colony.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Happened to me last week.. sigh.. I stood still for a while, but I wish I would have thought to shake out a frame of bees.. next time, Thanks Michael