Hybrid View

Default Dividers in hives with screened bottoms

I'm about to get to building a pair of top bars for my first hives. I'd like to put screened bottoms in with an oil pan or sticky board, partly to help catch SHB and mites, but mostly so I can look at what the bees are dropping and maybe learn something.

While thinking about this, it occurs to me that I may have trouble getting the follower board to make a reliable bee-proof seal with the screened bottom (which may be a little floppy). Does anyone have this problem? Do you do anything special to seal it? I was thinking maybe some garage-door type weatherstripping or just a piece of screen stapled to the bottom of the follower?

Thanks!

Default Re: Dividers in hives with screened bottoms

It doesn't have to have a solid seal necessarily. Some people put holes in the followers and put sugar behind them. If there is room for bees to get through you want to ensure that the bees behind the follower are not trapped in the hive by overhead bars. They won't likely be able to figure out how to wiggle back through on their own once they have gotten through to the back side. At least that is what I have seen.

Like Shannon said, it doesn't matter whether the dividers are bee-tight. They won't build on the other side.

We have a 1/4 gap on the sides of the follower boards and 1/2 at the bottom.

I saw that in the hive my husband made and we put removable slats under the screen to hold it up better. They are just wedged in. I'm new but didn't want a gap to start with when I saw it...Our construction had the screen elevated from the bottom board but level with the bottom of the hive so there was space in the actual hive bottom rim under the screen for slats. Also our follower has a feeder behind it and the slats hold it up until there's no room left for that kind of in-box feeder...I'm glad to know from these experienced folk that the bees won't go there though! I guess our fix was overkill! But that's OK it made me feel better-haha.