Big Grin NewBee saying hello from Southwest Oregon

Hello My New Top Bar "Family"!

Tomorrow my first EVER package is arriving! I'm SO excited.
    I'm also as ready as I can be and looking forward to my own true experience since I discovered,long since, that no two beekeepers give the same advice!(laughing).Well, it happens but it's rare. I've been studying for two years and have 5 books(3 specifically on top bars),3 DVDs and have watched SO many you-tubes I'm overflowing with all the possibilities. My husband built me a beautiful "golden mean" (yeah,yeah,I've since discovered everyone wants them longer!sigh)and it's enhanced with lemongrass and initial syrup feeder set up and I have a little enclosed "protected" garden space with a water tub and rocks and climbing branches for them in the pool and I've done SO much more....

Well. I love this forum and since all the nearby beekeepers here are Lang people (I got rudely lectured a few times that I'd FAIL with a top bar! How Dare they Assume that! POOEY on them! I've GOT to try what I felt was the Best way for ME to start!) I'm looking forward to gleaning more of your stories and experiences too. I'll be sharing more soon. The weather is giving ONE sunny over 60 degree day tomorrow "just for me!"so I'm jazzed!!!

Wish me a great first installation experience everybody! The only thing I didn't do that I can think of was practice in my suit and gloves....ooops. I'm almost 60 and "no fumbing allowed",huh? All good vibes are deeply appreciated.
    HappyBeeing
    PS-My apologies to the new person that signed up the day before me as HappyBee that I saw on the member list too late! Great Minds Think Alike, yeah?!?

Default Re: NewBee saying hello from Southwest Oregon

Welcome, HB!

I'm right there with you. We've got our first package scheduled for pickup on April 19th, after our beekeeper classes end. The association we joined is pretty nice; two members have had top-bar hives and didn't care for them, but they're a friendly bunch if dubious. Like you, we figure we'll just do things that are right for us, i.e. top bars and treatment-free.

We bought our first two hives from Beethinking.com. They're very nice! The hives are nice, too. ;-) Bee Thinking is located in Portland, OR. I may build a couple more though as we can't afford to buy more right now.

Our second package will be coming from Goldstarhoneybees.com, the owner of which is Christy Hemenway, author of "The Thinking Beekeeper". It may be one of the books you've read, or you may have come across her youtube videos. We're looking forward to seeing if we see any differences between a "traditional" package and one coming from a small-cell, treatment-free apiary.

I'm looking forward to hearing how things go for you.

Cheers,
    Tom

Good luck and welcome. I will give some unasked for advice. You probably do not need the leather gloves and full suit for an install, I would absolutely use a veil and if you have, or can get, nitrile gloves (like used in the medical field) try those out. The have decent protective qualities with much better dextrity. However use what you are comfortable with. My tbh was the only one of my hives that survived the winter, I had 7 langs die on me (all tx free) so don't worry to much about your tbh, I don't think it is any more likely to fail than any other hive configuration. That is not to say it won't fail but I doubt you choice of using a tbh will have an impact on the chances of success.

Enjoy, learn from you mistakes (and yes you will make some everyone does). I learned more in the first summer than I could reading any amount of books.

Best wishes,
    Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Welcome, sounds like you might be able to learn a thing or two from RiodeLobo. If you fail try try again.
    Dan

Thank you so much for the commeraderie Tango.I would have got those hives too except my DH is a skilled woodworker and yes I got that book a week after it came out! I'm looking forward to sharing and so glad the top bar forum is active. Best wishes to you and all your efforts too.I think it's smart to start with 2 hives in case one is weak or something but I couldn't swing it myself. I'll have two next year though!

Well,Riodelobo I Was going to dress veil only until I read and watched the youtube adventures of Hoosier-from-this-forum doing installations! That member's experiences put me into the "better safe than sorry" mode in case the weather gurus are wrong and it's cold or I squish one and cause a riot(he didn't he just talked about it). I need practice in the suit anyway for future inspections I figure (but I may just use my supple garden gloves or none). I'll get a feel for the moment before I choose.I love it that a lot of beekeepers here have experience with both kinds of hives and I'm sorry for your loss but heartened you told me about your top bar living.Most stories I've read were the opposite. And,Yeah,I love to study and read cause I'm a hermit type(married to a fellow hermit)but YES only the Doing will tell. I hope I didn't sound over confident,I just meant to sound "ready" and yes I sure do know I'll make mistakes(possibly cussing a lot), I just hope they arn't TOO painful!!! Thank goodness the waiting is over.I think I'll be calmer With the bees than I have been Waiting!

Hi KQ6AR Thank you so much for the welcome and I've learned a thing or 10 already from several great forum members!

Happy Being BIG DAY TOMORROW

Best of luck Happy! I have had a Golden Mean now for almost a year and I am loving it. Here in Hawaii though it get's kinda hot inside so I'm going to drill some holes and install some soffits in them. The girls are happy though and just cranking! I have taken 4 bars of capped honey so far and one more is going to be ready soon. No wintering over here!! Anyway I wish you all the best with your new bees and hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine!!

YAY! DID IT!
    Hi Again Everyone
    Everything went right for my first install today! I had a LOAD of "beginner's luck!"The bees arrived with next to no dead(final count was 30),it was 65 degrees,the queen looks very lively,the install was as smooth as an uncoordinated new person could make it and no stings (I admit to over protection), and within Only an hour every last of the 300+- bees that had stayed in the box or fell outside the hive were In that hive! They seemed like they just loved it at first scent.They hardly even got under the bars while I closed.That was really fun for me....the whole routine. During twilight there was just the most wonderful hum coming from it. Music to my ears. WHAT a last few days I've had. Now I can finally sleep again! HB

Woohoo! Congratulations, HB!

Very nice. Congratulations.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.