Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Evaluation of Canadian Bee Mortalities that Coincided with Corn Planting in Spring 12

9K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Markt 
#1 ·
Evaluation of Canadian Bee Mortalities that Coincided with Corn Planting in Spring 2012

Anyone look at this thing?
http://www.ontariobee.com/sites/ont...luation of Canadian Bee Mortalities.ENG-1.pdf

This seems so intentionally vague that I'm already doubting that the data will back up the assertions:
Residue analysis was conducted to determine whether bees were exposed to the
insecticides used on treated corn seeds. Samples of affected bees, from many incident
locations, were analyzed for pesticide residues by the PMRA Laboratory Services or
Ministère de l’Agriculture, Pêcheries et Alimentation Québec. Clothianidin was detected in
approximately 70% of the samples analyzed in Ontario and clothianidin and
thiamethoxam were detected in the samples analyzed from Quebec. On a bee yard basis,
these residues were detected in approximately 80% of the bee yards where dead bee
samples were collected and analysed. Samples of unaffected bees were also analysed and
clothianidin was only detected in one sample at very low levels. Corn seed in Ontario and
Quebec is treated in approximately equal quantities with either clothianidin or
thiamethoxam. Since thiamethoxam is converted to clothianidin, the detection of
clothiainidin in dead bees could indicate exposure to either clothianidin or thiamethoxam.
No levels cited, no quantification of the number of hives sampled.

I'd like to simply be able to take someone at their word that their conclusions are supported by their data...but I don't think we can.

deknow

#2 ·
There is some data there that SEEMS to be concerning. But yes, if you managed your data carefully enough something like that could be extrapolated depending on what is released and what is withheld. Could they be contacted and asked to release all data.

#3 ·
I dunno...this is now being passed around by beekeepers as some kind of alarming report. It might be...but it seems not just vague, but intentionally vague.
A closer reading shows that they found pesticide residue in bees that were already dead and suspected to have been poisoned by pesticides....and didn't find residues in bees that weren't dead. It doesn't really reveal much, other than to point out that pesticide poisoning can often times be identified by the beekeeper based upon observation.

deknow

#4 ·
"Measures have been implemented to reduce honey bee exposure to dust generated
during planting of treated corn seed, including communication of best practices to reduce
the exposure of honey bees, labelling of treated seed, a treated seed dust standard, and
development of technical solutions to reduce dust, including developments in the areas of
seed coating quality, seed flow lubricants, planting equipment, and disposal of treated
seed bags."

i don't think anyone disputes that these insecticides will kill bees if they are released in dust clouds during planting.

hopefully the corrective measures will mitigate these kind of losses this year. looks like they will be watching,

"Additionally, the nitro-guanidine neonicotinoids have been placed under re-evaluation
(REV2012-02, http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pest/_decisions/rev2012-02/indexeng.
php) and further regulatory action will be taken if required."

i wonder if the beekeepers were compensated for their losses?

#5 ·
From the follow-up report - "unusually high number of incident reports of bee losses from across southern Ontario, involving 40 beekeepers and over 200 beeyards, as well as one report from Quebec involving eight beeyards."

Here's the follow-up report released Feb 4 2013 outlining Canada's measures to reduce risk to pollinators from neonicotinoid-treated seeds

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs...nator-protection-pollinisateurs/index-eng.php

#6 ·
I love how you can read through their entire list of "actions" that basically say they are going to do nothing. Im sure the wee little beekeeper is going to track down the big farmer and ask him nicely not to spray except during the early morning or evening.... sigh. It makes me sick. Also, im quite confident when the bees see that the seed is labelled they are likely to avoid it...

http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/2013/02/19/burgessville-beekeeper-convinced-pesticides-used-by-farmers-responsible-for-hive-deaths

This just occurred in my area, where I plan to put my bees this spring, not exactly cultivating (pun intended) a ton of confidence.

#9 ·
No, as far as I know there were some bailouts for some of the bigger producers who got hit hard with ccd. As far as any sort of insurance/compensation for the losses, as far as I know they dont exist. Maybe a more experienced Canadian beek could give you some more specific information.

#12 ·
Ha yeah suing farmers strikes me as about the best way to lose pretty much all of your existing yards and never being able to find new ones that I can think of... Gotta keep in mind that most beeyards are there because the farmer doesn't care either way, they don't really get all that much out of the deal other than some honey. (Canola etc aside perhaps)

#14 ·
because the farmer doesn't care either way, they don't really get all that much out of the deal other than some honey. (Canola etc aside perhaps)
exactly right. Unless they need pollination, and not much seed production around here, they will have bees on their land more so as a good will gesture towards the beekeeper himself. Very important to be recognized as a sound character and appreciative to the community for the use of the lands. Bad PR moves beekeepers out very quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.