Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cut out without a bee vac., should be fun!

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CaBees 
#1 ·
I am going to attempt cutting out a hive that is horizontal in the support area below a fence without a bee vac. Homeowner wants them out and no time or good setup for a trap out (on a slope). It looks like easy access.... I will dress him up in the bee suit, smoke the bees and he will remove the bolts etc which keeps the cover board on. I am going to try and cut out the comb, bees and put into a waiting hive.... unless it goes deep underground or something unexpected I think this is a swarm that just moved in to a hive that emptied last year (he never plugged the hole) and I'm hoping to entice most of the bees into the hive by dark. It will either work or it won't and I'll leave the hive there for a few days...try to seal the hole with the bees and comb out of it, best I can. I have a very big supply of wood....

Is this nuts? Go ahead, be honest. :)

#2 ·
good luck. the main thing is to get the queen in box and keep her there. we sometimes put a queen excluder on bottom of hive so she cant leave once you put her in. we just did one like this saturday. (we usually use a bee vac) put queen and all comb in hive and by end of day there were only a few bees left at original spot. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.