Default What would you do? comb built from lid down...oops forgot the frames!

Brood/bees originally in one deep, added a medium last fall, they only filled it up 2/3 by winter so added a piece of newspaper and dyer sugar to get them thru the season in the other 1/3 space. (they were a swarm at the beginning of the summer). Forgot about it! Inspected last week and they had built from the cover board down all full comb...capped brood etc., perfect beautiful pattern; could not bear to destroy it. So I put it back and set a medium on top of that one (cover board is the kind with the hole in the middle) and will find out if they will fill those frames out or not. I don't want to leave an inner cover in this hive all summer....

I figure I will split this one in 3 - 4 weeks depending on weather and bees. I am thinking in 3 weeks that brood has hatched out and I would remove it then, add frames. I could split the hive then and cut them out, tie to frames if this hive is ready then. Or if it is not ready for a split I would just remove them and add in frames.

Is this a good plan? What would you do?

Live and learn! oops!

Default Re: What would you do? comb built from lid down...oops forgot the frames!

If you turn the super upside down, the queen will be less likely to lay in it, and being on the bottom, the bees will move the honey out. You can wait until it is unoccupied to remove it.
    Deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Default Re: What would you do? comb built from lid down...oops forgot the frames!

upside down or move below the medium deep? She will have to travel up thru that hold if it I move it below the medium deep, right? Good idea...

Put it above a queen excluder, let it all hatch out then you can deal with it.

ok, good idea too. Have to chase the queen out.... could just put that piece in an empty medium above..... hmmmmmm ... thanks!

Put it above the 2 boxes and they will abandon it at some point or above an inner cover or a queen excluder etc. Then melt it down for rewaxing frames.

You could always cut a portion of it out to fit in a couple frames too and wire it in when it's all hatched out too, can save it that way unless you just don't want to deal with it, but if it's a nice big chunk of comb, it's pretty valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    You could always cut a portion of it out to fit in a couple frames too and wire it in when it's all hatched out too, can save it that way unless you just don't want to deal with it, but if it's a nice big chunk of comb, it's pretty valuable.
    Yes! I absolutely intend to do that. No wasted comb plus it is cool and square. (that does not always go together!).

I'm with JRG13. Do a cutout. Secure the comb to empty frames with rubberbands.

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lowe View Post
    I'm with JRG13. Do a cutout. Secure the comb to empty frames with rubberbands.
    I would do a cut out now and rubber band the brood frames as they would be a lot easier to deal with than filled with honey later on.

Yup! Did you do that on purpose? What did you end up doing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

Last edited by Barry; 04-08-2013 at 09:39 AM.

That's actually Michael Bush in that picture. He had used that empty box to feed granulated sugar and didn't get around to taking it off. The hive died by the time we got around to working it so I just stuck the comb in a garbage bag and melted it down later. It was nice big cell honey storage comb.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I tried to chase the queen down, put an empty medium with frames below it and a queen cage on top but it back fired. Queen must be still hiding in all that comb and the bees moved up and started building MORE. Tomorrow is the last warm day I can do 'something' with it or I have to wait until next weekend. I don't know if I can remove it without squishing the queen and she is a nice queen indeed...I would hate to do it. Any other advice all? I can't do anything with this hive until all this comb is removed and it is full of brood...just full.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    I tried to chase the queen down, put an empty medium with frames below it and a queen cage on top but it back fired. Queen must be still hiding in all that comb and the bees moved up and started building MORE. Tomorrow is the last warm day I can do 'something' with it or I have to wait until next weekend. I don't know if I can remove it without squishing the queen and she is a nice queen indeed...I would hate to do it. Any other advice all? I can't do anything with this hive until all this comb is removed and it is full of brood...just full.
    Hoping for some advice on this today....how to remove without killing the queen..

Sometimes you just have to get in there and make it happen. Use plenty of smoke and a brush and start clearing a comb at a time, always watching out for the queen. Just like doing a cut-out. Start at one end and work your way over. the queen will usually be one to head away from where there is disturbance going on.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sometimes you just have to get in there and make it happen. Use plenty of smoke and a brush and start clearing a comb at a time, always watching out for the queen. Just like doing a cut-out. Start at one end and work your way over. the queen will usually be one to head away from where there is disturbance going on.
    Thanks Barry, that is what I thought I did! I dumped as many bees as possible (after) in front of the hive and let them crawl up a frame to home. I thought with the queen excluder in place she could not crawl back up. The comb is like bricks....not on frames so not built like blocks instead. What is worst they are filling the rest of the space up now but if nothing else I'm going to put empty frames where I can. Today is cold and windy so can't do too much more. Open to other suggestions as well, thanks!

I think i would treat it just like i would a cutout.

Take deep frames and a pile of rubberbands or pre-string the frames. then just cut out sections of comb to fit into the new frames.

I had pulled a single frame out of a 10 frame box and forgot to space the others out. they attached a single row of comb on the bottom of the above frame and continued to build it out in the lower box. When i discovered it i just lifted it out and wedged it in an empty frame. several weeks later i was back in that hive and you couldn't tell that section of comb had never been drawn in that frame.

I cut it out and it was full of swarm cells! I salvaged all I could in a 5 frame nuc, dumped bees in and took to a sunny spot. If they remain viable I my use them Sat for our split class. These are good, robust feral bees from last summer that swarmed into old equipment. Some was honey and I remember not to put much in the nuc or I might get robbing? Should I put a pollen patty in?

It is about 100feet from the original hive so am assuming worker bees flew home and nursing bees remained... Thank you.

trying pictures again from a different computer!
    queen cell.JPG
    comb.JPG
    hive with burr comb.JPG
    Last edited by CaBees; 04-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.