Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Branch shaker

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Sharpbees 
#1 · (Edited)
This may have been brought up before, but I had an idea on how to shake a branch safely from the ground.
Simply install a qood quality wooden handled paint roller (minus the roller part) on a telescopic painters stick. Trim down the length of the steel bar if desired. Place around the branch and give the branch a shake.
This will work exceptionally well when the hive is placed on top of a ladder as shown in this video. Hint.... strap the hive down first. I bet he wished he had one. Sooooo many things could have gone wrong (and almost did). lol

Here is an example of the branch shaker.
Floor Wall Flooring

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
I used to do the hive on a ladder deal but had too many mishaps. I built a double 5-gallon bucket contraption that I will use now.

I cut a large circle out of the bottom of the two buckets and fastened the bottoms together with w 1/4" plywood ring and a piece of 1/8" screen . Then made two lids with the screen on them , and one regular lid. I put a paint roller handle on one bucket that a telescoping paint roller handle will screw into.
The idea is to knock the swarm off into one bucket, lower and put on the regular lid. Then turn the bucket over and set it on the ground. The queen phermones come thru the screen into the other bucket and the remaining flying bees will congregate in that bucket. When all are in, put a screened lid on. The other screened lid is for hauling a long distance in hot weather. Just take off the regular lid and install the other screened lid allowing for better air circulation.
The telescoping pole will let me reach the buckets up about 15 feet.
This idea is not mine, but one was brought to our bee meeting for a demo. Can't wait to see how well it works.

#4 ·
Sounds like a good idea. I also have the swarm capture bucket. Same thing with the extendalbe painter's handle. What I used to attach the bucket to the handle was a high impact plastic flag pole holder. The type of holder that can be mounted to a post and is adjustable to varying angles with the use of a thumb screw.
Works real well. This allows you to cature the swarm without standing under the swarm!

#5 ·
I also use a plastic bucket attached, with an aluminum pin (at the rim of the bucket) plus duct tape, to the side of a telescoping tree pruner pole which is in turn pinned to the end of a telescoping pool cleaner pole. I captured one swarm that was over 22 feet high. I try to avoid ladders. I put the bucket up directly under the swarm and jabbed it upward as hard as possible to jolt the swarm into the bucket. I got half the swarm, set it on the ground and waited; in 10 minutes all the bees went back up in the tree! So I banged it again, this time the queen was in the half of the swarm in the bucket and a half hour later all the bees up in the tree had joined those in the bucket. The ArkansasBK double bucket sounds like a good idea, if you get the queen locked in the swarm is not likely to leave the bucket.

I've also duct taped the bee vac hose to the telescoping poles.

#6 ·
Yeah, I've got that set up attached to the telescoping pole with a smaller bucket attached so I can grab the branch by the bees and with a good shake they fall into the bucket. Been able to get swarms as high as the 3 sections of pole and 1 8' ladder. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, but I can't say no once swarm fever hits!!

#7 ·
The best pole style swarm catcher I've seen yet is a simple 5 gal. water jug with the bottom cut out, then in the neck of the jug epoxy a paint roller handle so that you can screw it onto an extension pole. The jug is light on the end of the pole and can handle pretty large swarms.

#15 ·
I've always used cardboard boxes or hive bodies. Also have an extension limb pruner. The last swarm I caught was 30 foot up in an Oak so I sawed the limb off, it was an old swarm, six months or more, already had a large nest. After the crash I picked up the pieces and put them in a hive. Two weeks later they are doing very well.

I will make myself a water bottle rig, looks better than my rigged-up one. Can dump them into a box after the catch, sweet!
Thanks for the info and photo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.