Default When installing package bees

How far do I need to have them away from each other? Can I have them close or do I need to get tem 30-40 ft away?

Default Re: When installing package bees

I have mine close enough together to work them without moving very much....I'm old and frugal with my energy

I have mine about 6 inches apart and have not had any problems. I keep my entrances reduced to pretty small until they get established.

I did 2 packages today, never done them before. I read and watched numerous things and nothing said not to put them 5 feet part on a stand. Now I have came across 1 video that said not to do it that all the bees would go into 1 hive. So I was wondering if I screwed up or if I needed to stop up the hive and 1st thing in the morning move the hive since they really haven't orientated yet.

Yes I have my entrance reducers on also at about 2"

Too much worry here. I install packages in hives inches, feet, yard and miles apart. Yes, when the hives are close together there might and probably will be some drifting. A quick inspection will tell you if you're not balanced and, assuming you have queens in each colony, swapping hives will help stabilize. Honestly, I never worry too much. I usually have a series of hives on stands...two or three colonies per stand, a few feet apart. So, I'll have one stand with a couple of hives set off by 2 or 3 feet from another stand holding a couple of hives, etc. The hives themselves are 6-8 inches apart. If I need to squeeze, they'll nearly be touching. I shake the packages in, direct release the queens (usually) and go away. A few days later I'll do a quick "pop the cover" inspection. If I have a light colony, I'll swap with the heavy one but normally all is well (again, assuming the queen is still there).

I think that oftentimes, the bees adapt to what we do well before we adapt to it ourselves.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I have had severe problems with drift among package-installed colonies. Usually get 10 or 15 packages. Last year, I put them in pairs facing SE,SW, with each pair about 20 ft apart. Still had very unequal colony size in a week or 10 days.

I'm not sure what the solution is but would love to hear from others.

"Met-How" Kraig

Mine are all touching. I'm sure they would drift less if they weren't... installing just before dark helps.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF