Default lost a hive, now has wax moth on 6 deep frames

I think it lost it's queen because I saw 5-6 supercedure cells. Maybe it got too low in numbers and couldn't get replacements fast enough. I know I was intervening on some robbing over the last 4 weeks. I went into the hive later January and things were fine then. It was a cordovan queen I got last spring and split from a different hive. I'm not sure if what I see on the bottom board is mites, lots of specks of dark and light but it could be cappings from the robbing. When I checked the hive in January, I checked only the medium upper box and everything was good then.

So now I have all these frames covered with wax moth webbing. Right now I have them out in the sun. Will that kill them? If so, how long should I leave them in the sun? I believe no rain in the forecast. I'm treatment free.

Also, it looks like the remaining bees may have adopted the hive next door, because when I walked up to my hives, these are my backyard hives, the first thing I noticed was bees on the front of the next door hive. Not bearding, but covering the front just hanging out. Is that possible?

It's my first loss this year.
    Last edited by bevy's honeybees; 03-19-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added treatment free
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: lost a hive, now has wax moth on 6 deep frames

I seriously doubt leaving it out in the sun will kill the wax moth larvae.

Stick them in the deep freeze for a few days. That will kill them.

I found this in archives

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...do-with-frames

gmcharlie says here sunshine works. He doesn't say how long, and I wondered has anyone else tried this? I prefer this to freezer if it works...
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24

Light is a significant deterrent. Light, hard cold, BT, moth crystals. All work. Use what is best for you! I use BT and a VERY cold barn. However, I skipped BT and the barn didn't get cold enough last winter (2011-2012). Lesson learned!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The Aussies have an article under "Farm Notes" from 2007 that I downloaded a couple years ago, but can't find online now. This is from the article:

The following minimum freezing treatments are required to kill wax moths in all stages of their life cycle:
    • minus 7C for 4.5 hours;
    • minus 12C for 3 hours; or
    • minus 15C for 2 hours.

I loaded a cooler with frames and parked a 2 lb block of dry ice on top. I used a remote thermometer to verify the temp and left it closed with masking tape overnight.

As much co2 as evaporated from a 2 lb block of dry ice, confined inside a taped up freezer, was probably enough to kill the moth larva by it self.
    Bill

Off the subject, but that's a good point. I wonder if a chunk of dry ice slipped into a trash bag full of supers and sealed up tight would work for overwintering?
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I like the cooler idea. I went out in my garage and sure enough, a deep frame fit perfect into a fishing cooler. 7 frames fill it but I will need room for the dry ice. Now, to find a place that sells it.

Until then, the frames are out in the daylight. I spread them out in two empty deeps without lid or bottom board right over fire ant hills--as an experiment.

Most Super Markets sell dry ice in their Deli departments. The cooler thing is a neat idea. Fit perfectly. I have a place where I caught 16 swarms last year and this will be a great way to transport them back to my house and leave my swarm trap set up for another one. Thanks fellas.

I had planned to do what David suggested above but never found it necessary because my shed gets to below zero F in the winter and wax moths are not a significant problem. Put a super full of empty drawn frames in a heavy black trash bag, put in a piece of dry ice (available at WalMart), squeeze out a maximum amount of air, and tie the neck of the bag closed loosely. Repeat with all of your surplus drawn frames. In my mind it should kill both adult and work wax moths.

Steve

You can likely find a retailer of dry ice in your area by using this Penguin dealer locator:

http://www.airgas.com/customer_servi...ionType=DryIce
    For instance, it shows that 6 Publix supermarkets in the Fort Myers FL area carry dry ice. In my area, it is sold by Ingles supermarkets.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks for the link, I go right past one of the publix listed on my way to work.