Default metal add-on frame rails

Are they worth it or help much .

Default Re: metal ad on frame rails

I don't use them.......but try them on a hive or two, you may like them. They're only nickels (or dimes).....
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I tried them. The bees propolis that area and then it is problematic (for me) to clean/scrape that area without damaging them. I also found moisture accumulated between it, and the wood. I removed them all.
    Rick

In my hives it gives small hive beetles a great place to hide from the bees... not good... If you do want to try them try on one side not both then frames are easier to pull...

In my opinion this is a much better option... http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/660/ or http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/659/

Many folks have beetle problems with them. They looked neat for me at first and I used them on all my boxes. Then, when I began scraping used boxes they got in the way so I ripped them out. The best use I've found for them is when I cut the ends wrong and the lips of the boxes barely caught the frames. Putting on the metal frame supports added a smidgeon of extra surface....problem solved!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I use them on my hives. Cleaning the ledges and sliding frames is a lot easier. We live in the wet and rain here and I have never had a problem with moisture. I have boxes that have had them since the mid 1980's. When I skipped using them I usually gouged the ledge trying to clean or prying against them to loosen the frames.

I wonder if there is a difference in the material they are made of. Mid 80s vs 2005 ? I used my hive tool to scrape. Caught the nails. (my fault) but I also snagged the metal and cut into it. Once the metal was deformed, it could not be put back tight. Most of my bees are heavy on the propolis.
    Rick

I would be worried about giving SHB a place to hide.

If you pound the nails in from the side with the box standing on end instead of down into the rabbit or shelf you wont have the problem of hooking them when scaping with a hive tool

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    If you pound the nails in from the side with the box standing on end instead of down into the rabbit or shelf you wont have the problem of hooking them when scaping with a hive tool
    That's the way I do it. I still use them today so I don't think things have changed much. I only put about 3 small nails in each one from the side and none from the top. The holes that they come with are only on one side. That side goes on the vertical surface. It seems like it would be hard to catch the edge unless you are scraping up on the vertical edge of the box. I have probably never done that.

LOL You are correct.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    LOL You are correct.
    Rick
    I know it should be self explanatory but I bought some used boxes a few years ago and the guy had nailed them down. Kinda made little speed bumps.

I know it should be self explanatory but I bought some used boxes a few years ago and the guy had nailed them down. Kinda made little speed bumps.
    And I'll bet there is a reason it was done that way. Those that have had no issues with them may have a better quality product than I had, or they may clean propolis less aggressively than I do. Maybe, only the top edge gets scraped, dunno. Just trying to help the OP with info. The ones I had only go on one way
    Rick

I have used the double bend galvanized metal rabbit that needs a 7/8" deep cut in the end of the box on all my boxes over the years, and like them.
    I use four 15ga. 3/4" nails nailed on the vertical plane. I find it easy to clean propolis from them as the hive tool is slid sideways.
    I am now woundering how the space that this type of rabbit support will help the SHB as we are now finding this pest in sourthern California.
    Walt

In the honey supers I place 9 frame spacers over them.

[QUOTE=Walt McBride;911664
    I am now woundering how the space that this type of rabbit support will help the SHB as we are now finding this pest in sourthern California.
    Walt [/QUOTE]
    Just me, but when I nailed the metal strips in place, the metal flexed and created a space between it and the wood. It was never a snug enough fit. SHB love nooks like that to hide in.