Default Foundationless corrections

I have decided to start right from the beginning with foundationless frames ( thanks for all the answers to my questions Michael Bush ) and have seen mentions on other posts about keeping an eye on the first few combs to make sure everything is being constucted as it should . If I were to find comb that is being built crooked , how do I go about correcting it ? I have never handled a piece of comb before so the answer might be obvious when the problem would actually present itself but it would probably be a good idea if I had atleast a clue Thanks.

Default Re: Foundationless corrections

i started beekeeping last year and was intrieged with the idea of foundationles comb and bees building their own. i started by adding a empty frame with a couple pieces of comb pressed up against the top bar.useing 3/16 wood dowels for cross suports. the bees did a great job of building the rest. mind you this first frame was in between two frames of brood .
    after the first was drawn i pulled out the next frame i wanted to chainge and repeated the process. when i had comb going astrey i just gently pushed it to where i wanted it to be, seemed to work well for me.
    i found it to be a slow process but interesting and worth it . its free, its clean, its natural. and certanly best for the bees.
    all information i found on it came from michal bush. the practical beekeeper. i will be doing more this year. have fun.
    i even emailed michal with some of my questions and he promptly replied. i suggest reading the practical beekeeper its on line.
    Last edited by curios1; 03-19-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: more
    thats the way i roll.

Small corrections can be just pushing the comb over. Large corrections care usually cutting the comb loose and putting in a frame with rubber bands around the frame holding it from falling out.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Or just buy 10 sheets of foundation.
    Put 2 of them in the middle of each hive started.
    Then when they are drawn put a foundationless in between them.
    When it is drawn move evreything over a place another foundationless in the middle.
    Keep going untill all frames a well built. Saves time and they will get it right the first time.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Its easy, grab the comb gently and rip it off the frame, set it down on top of the hive, Take out an empty frame and stretch three or four rubber bands over the frame, pick up the comb you removed, (most of the bees should have crawled off it by now) and gently stick it back in between the bands, maintaining original orientation. (don't put it in upside down) Don't worry if you smush some of the comb, the bees will fix it faster than you can believe.

If you keep your frames tight together you probably wont have many problems. The only comb I had to fix happened between frames that where not slid all the way together. If I went to narrow frame (11 in a 10 frame box) I probably would have had no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Or just buy 10 sheets of foundation.
    Put 2 of them in the middle of each hive started.
    Then when they are drawn put a foundationless in between them.
    When it is drawn move evreything over a place another foundationless in the middle.
    Keep going untill all frames a well built. Saves time and they will get it right the first time.
    I buy that!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.