Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Cold weather installation on foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Vance is right. My first year I hived bees and within a day the weather changed to 12 days of solid rain. Our local river topped the banks. No bees were flying. The only relief they had was my syrup that I was feeding them. All were on foundation. I had no comb at all. They all got through it just fine. It was April here in MA. Middle of the month.
    Thanks, Ravenseye,
    I am a little more at ease now with You & Vance's comments, however I will feel 100% better when I see them buzzing around again in the next day or so.
    Thanks Again. -Ryan
    beehiveblueprints.com

Yeah...I'm with you. Bee's flying and doing their thing is what really makes you feel good. Please let us know when you're in the clear. I definitely remember the feeling of relief when all looked well!!! I was right with you not too long ago and asked for opinions here. Even though a lot of great beekeepers chimed in, there was nothing better than seeing those bee's fly. I remember it well and I'm glad you posted here.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

[QUOTE=ryanbekke;920343]I know the feeling far too well today, I just got my packages installed this last saturday with a good forecast and now the weather is changing for the worst, go figure. I have two frames of drawn comb in each of my five hives. Today it was seventy degrees and they are now calling for a small blizzard here in western Nebraska with temperatures dropping to the low teens on Tues & Wed. It was pouring down rain when I got off work tonight so I didn't have time to get them protected.]

Ryan, how are you making out? The drawn combs you put in, did they have any honey or just empty? Did you get any insulation on, at least on top of the hives? After I put a piece of insulation board against the side where the frame feeder is and filled it with warm syrup it helped during the last cold spell. Ya, I know, micromanaging. But with only a few hives and still in my 1st year I don't want to lose them to something that I could have prevented.
    We just had a few beautiful days here but now it's heading back to cold, rain, some sleet forecast for tomorrow & wind too for the next few days. I may put the insulation back on top through this cold snap. Every little bit helps while they're getting established !!
    Last edited by JonnyBeeGood; 04-11-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

Jonnybeeggood, The bees made it through just fine like Vance said they would. Yes I put 3 drawn combs from last year with honey stores in them for food. I was able to wrap one hive with a tarp but my others hives were snowed in and I couldn't get to them. I was a nervous wreck over the whole deal. I think making the entrance as small as possible and having plenty of food (Honey) helped out. It was the 10 & 11 degree weather that scared me the most. Good Luck with them.
    beehiveblueprints.com

"Even though a lot of great beekeepers chimed in, there was nothing better than seeing those bee's fly" How true this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    beehiveblueprints.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123