Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Solid or Screened Bottom Board

It looks like most are going with a solid BB , I'm getting ready to build a couple, should I not glue the board in so I could slide it out on a really hot periods and slide it in for winter . Or am I worrying about it to much .

Solid.

Tried the screen.
    I think mine do better with a solid bottom.

Glad i read this thread after i bought 2 screened btm boards for my new hives,
    but i also read here about an easy solution...1/4" luan

Too many options for newbees like me

I have screened bottom boards, however, my interest is not mite control (very little in the way of mites around here) but rather ventilation for the hive. Summer temps in the desert can be over 110. I haven't really found anyone who will tell me how much of a difference the ventilation makes, but I figure it can't hurt. For winter I either switch to a solid bottom or I cut out some cardboard to place over the screen to provide insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Glad i read this thread after i bought 2 screened btm boards for my new hives,
    but i also read here about an easy solution...1/4" luan

Too many options for newbees like me
    I use screened bottom board as shown in the " build it your self" section on this site. http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...-bottom-board/

It has a 1/4" luan insert to close it off in when desired.

It is designed as a means to check mite drop, but also serves as a seal against drafts if you want to use it as one.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Ralph , thanks for the heads up, I thought I saw mention of that , sounds like a good idea to me , best of both worlds , I'll go with those plans . I see you use tar paper for the winter , I'm worried about are cold winters here and am trying to plan a wind break , how does the tar paper work and what about not enough ventilation and moisture , how can you know whats going on inside for a newbee this is a tuff issue .

I think that the tar paper keeps out some of the draft and also the dark color helps with a little heat gain when the sun is out.

Moisture is a big issue. You need a little air movement, but don't want a lot of draft. A vent hole in the rim of the inner cover is a good idea. I also drill a 1/2 hole in the front of the top brood box. I put a super full of pine shavings on top to insulate and absorb moisture.

So far this year all of my hives seem to be doing okay.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I use screened bottom board as shown in the " build it your self" section on this site. http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...-bottom-board/

It has a 1/4" luan insert to close it off in when desired.

It is designed as a means to check mite drop, but also serves as a seal against drafts if you want to use it as one.
    The screened bottom boards i bought came with a metal slide out tray, pulls out from the
    back with the landing board in place.
    I suppose a little extra ventilation in the summer wouldn't hurt.