Hybrid View

Default Electric Embedder

I have an electric embedder that appears to have stopped working. I opened the box and tested the transformer and got 0V across the terminals. I went out and purchased a new 16V doorbell transformer from Menards: http://www.menards.com/main/electric...293-c-6464.htm

I installed this and hooked back up the embedding tool, tried it out, but I couldn't get the wire to warm up to embed into the wax. I tested between the 2 terminals and I am getting current, so that shouldn't be the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Electric Embedder

Perhaps it's not rated for enough current. If I remember correctly, it takes a couple amps. I had an ammeter hooked up to my embedder setup once. But I just use a 12 volt battery.

Ah, you might be correct. This one is rated for 16V, 10VA. Which, if my electronics math is correct, is only .625A.

Yes, the transformer you linked to above produces 10 watts, or about .625 amps at 16 volts. The transformer that Kelley sells for this purpose produces 2 amps. So, you need more current to heat the wire.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3335&grouped=1

Any similar Class 2 transformer that produces 2 amps should work. However, make sure it is a transformer. Don't get fooled by a modern power supply encased in plastic that may not be
    a true transformer.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Looks like we have figured it out.

I have tried several types, and I keep going back to the good ol' brute force and big amps of a 12 volt battery.

Have fun!

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm hoping to pickup something locally to save some money/shipping fees.

Worst case, I'll just wire in a 12V battery to the embedder and use it like that.

redacted message

Just to clarify, the battery is used to embed four horizontal wires at once. Fewer and it gets real hot real fast.

As tim allen would say....more power hu hu hu......isn't "angry hippie " an oxymoron ?....i' m just an "old hippie "

Quote Originally Posted by honeybeebee View Post
    isn't "angry hippie " an oxymoron ?
    Yes - my wife was mad at me one time and said "you're the angriest hippie I know. The name stuck. We now call our place "Angry Hippie Farms". We get lots of comments about the name and it causes it to be memorable.

I use a car battery charger for wire embedding. It is better than a battery because it is current-limited whereas a battery can put out almost infinite current. Get one in the range of 1.5 to 2 amps - looks like Walmart has them for around 20 bucks. Lower amperages can be used if embedding one or two wires at a time instead of all four. I usually do one wire at a time when using cross-wired foundation, as the cross wires create alternate conductive paths when doing multiple wires at once.

Thanks to all for the information. I ended up picking up a 12.6V 3A transformer from Radio Shack. Worked great.

For those of you wiring frames, there are 4 holes in a deep frame for wires. Do you need all 4? I have always done all 4, but am being told I need to loosen up a little and only do the 2 in the middle. That would be a lot faster. Has anyone done that and regretted it?

Chris