Default Crosswiring Deep Frames...how many wires?

I pulled my pins on my deep frames since I have the means to wire it and embed. I feel a lot better about wire instead of the pins. My question is, should I use all 4 holes or just do the center two holes...2 wires or 4? I have a pound of wire...more than enough to do 4. I also have eyelets. Any reason not to go with 4 wires?

Default Re: Crosswiring Deep Frames...how many wires?

I use the top and bottom holes and make a "X" with the cross wire. I holds fine and uses less wire. If you bow the bottom of the frame a little when securing the cross wire it will help tighten it when you release the pressure. Be careful when using an electric embedder as sometimes it can cause the cross wires to burn through the foundation where they intersect.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

I do the bottom three.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Interesting. Why the bottom three? I figured if you could justify 3, then the 4th would be worth it too. I also can see how two would be justified thinking the top and base are supported by the wedge and groove. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, I guess.

I do just the middle two since the top and bottom is supported.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

I use mainly foundationless frames that I designed and build myself (comb guides are not an afterthought, but part of the Top Bar and sometimes the Bottom Bar too). Most of them are medium depth frames. On medium frames I drill two holes in the End Bars of the medium frames, and I prefer three holes in the End Bars of deep frames - for me, as others have said, the comb is supported by being fastened at the top and usually the bottom too, so the top and bottom wires are often unnecessary. On deep frames I like three wires, where the top and bottom wire are much lower and higher, respectively from the traditional wire spacing on deep frames, and the center wire is mid-way.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I use all four, although the top one surely isn't doing much as I use wedge type frames. You should be all right with the two in the center on deeps.

Your choice. Takes less time to wire just the two center ones, all four is more secure but takes longer.

I tighten the wires by taking a pair if needle-nosed pliers and bending the wires slightly multiple times along the length, sort of a cheap version of a crimper. Easier and more controllable than bending the bottom bar.

Peter

Went ahead and used two middle wires, crimped and embedded. Also used my pins on the other holes because I had them. All four wires would have been overkill. It's stout like it is and much better than just pins. These are wired foundation with L wires in the wedge area. I'm confident they will be good. Thanks for The suggestion.

When wiring frames, I place them in a special, back to back bench clamp/vice.

The height of the jaws are just right, holding the frame by its End Bars and squeezing them together, while leaving the wire holes free to insert the wire. Once the wire is threaded and fastened firmly at both ends, I release the clamp/vice and the wire is then stretched firmly between the End Bars.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Is anyone using monofilament fishing line? I'm going foundationless and just using the 2 middle holes on my deeps. It's very quick to run the line through 4 holes, tie a double overhand knot on the end bar, and yank it tight. I put a little Titebond III on the knot to stabilize it, clip the excess, and I'm done. The line is tight enough to twang, and so far the bees are building comb around the line just fine. The line is 25# test, and a much larger diameter than the wire, so I'm thinking less tendency to cut new comb if the frame is handled roughly, or it gets real hot (which it sometimes does, here.) I don't have to use eyelets, either, since the line doesn't cut the wood, so far as I can tell.

I just ended up doing it the traditional way. I used two wires on a deep and medium. I crimped them to tighten and then electrically embedded. To me, it seems to be the most stable. Plus, I want to go traditional before expanding into other methods.