Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bloom is over but bees still aren't released??? anyone else????

From what I saw in the orchard by my work, was that the early/faster bloom pollinators were done long before the others so I could see why the last blooms are apt to fail if you need cross pollination. The bulk of the bloom was covered quite well.

They are releasing ours this weekend.

Thanks JRG13 and yes I'd agree with you to Mike if I was getting a check. Every year it's the same old sob story about how he's waiting for money to come in so he can pay me. I'll get $500 here or a $1000 there. I'm happy to have the opportunity I just don't want to be held up because I can put them on better ground. I've got my fingers crossed for cherries or something else to come along soon. Do you guys have any leads?

Eastsidebuzz- what species of almonds did your bees pollinate?

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    I think experiments showed that those last few blooms dont set any nuts.But I wouldn't want to argue the point with a guy that just wrote out a big pollination check.
    Mike, very well said. If an extra week is going to kill someone this is not the place for yeah.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Mike and keith
    I respectively disagree! Just because he writes you a big check why should your bees sit 10 days when there is no viable bloom. You're not getting PaID to sit bees in almonds you are getting paid to pollinate the blooms. Educate the grower and both of us win! If I sit in a orchard with no bloom ansvmiss 10 days of honey flow at 5 lbs a day x 2.00 per lb that's 100 dollars about what I would net in almonds. What is accomplished by not educating the grower? I'll bet if they care short 500k hives next year they would be glad to release...along growers need to be educated and work with beekeepers for both to prosper! Just because he writes you a big check shouldn't mean you sit and bees go backwards after a bloom....besides its all not profit!

This just shows how different beemen view the situation. IF I had a flow or another pollination to go to and was losing time by overstaying in the almonds, well that would be different. Some almond locations have prunes and mustard nearby in bloom right after, so for me its better to let them hang around awhile before I bring them up into the high country where there is still a bit of snow around and No bloom for a week or two.

Everyone does something different after almonds so not saying you are wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12