Default Nosema and queen genetics

I used to be a small commercial beekeeper--and worked for a larger commercial beekeeper--we both bred our own queens and the consensus was that the best solution for nosema was to ensure that we bred from queens that never showed signs of the disease (over the course of several seasons). Any hive that showed signs of nosema were requeened. I'm new to beesource but have kept bees for at least 20 years; I'm just wondering if this continues to be the prevailing wisdom---geneically superior queens will eliminate concerns related to nosema.?

Default Re: Nosema and queen genetics

Nosema disease can cause queen loss or supersedure so breeding from nosema free colonies should produce healthier queens. I have no idea if a resistance to nosema can be bred into stock but it seems plausible.

Olympic wilderness says on their web site:
    "We have been selecting for Nosema Tolerance since 1997"

A SARE grant on breeding Nosema tolerant bees: http://mysare.sare.org/mySARE/Projec...263&y=2012&t=2
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the information Michael---It's good to hear this is a focus with queen breeding!

Somewhere, I used to have a link (several computers ago but I may find it yet) to a congressional hearing on CCD where one of the top USDA scientists said we can and we need to breed for Nosema resistance. Maybe I'll find it again...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF