Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nails are shipped with assembly of the hive required but would screws be better?

Quote Originally Posted by vowelsctbee View Post
    Like I have admitted in earlier post my wife and I are completely new at the art of Bee Keeping.
    The Hives we purchased are like most any others have purchased not assembled.
    Reviewing the assembly process I noticed that nails are provided and there is not any mention of alternatively using screws.

Would screw provide a better construction and minimize the chance of the nails backing out overtime?
    Just curious before I start the assembly to see where others stand on this since the debate of the previous post I submitted provided interesting reading.

Thank You in advance.
    I have nothing to add except that I'm in LaGrange, pretty close to you! We have a nice beekeepers assoc, meets first Friday of the month, 7:30 pm at the Oldham County Extension office. You are welcome to come

Default Re: Nails are shipped with assembly of the hive required but would screws be better?

I used these. Best of both worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by Duranthas View Post
    I used these. Best of both worlds?
    those would work as well. ring shanks are almost impossible to pull out and instead have to be beaten out with a hammer.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Ringshanks are great for lots of things, but their additional holding power is lost when driving into end grain as on a box. They are a still a good choice as they run a narrow shank and relativley wide thin flat head....like a box nail, which nearly eliminates splitting

I was thinking about the deck screws with the tapered shank which make it easier to split the wood but don't know if they make a good coated flat head screw .The spiral nails will work good also and no worries of splitting but I like the way screws suck the joint tight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12