Default GPS Trackers for Theft Prevention?

I've gotten a couple of "Catch the Buzz" emails about hives being stolen in large numbers in California. Does anybody put GPS trackers in any hives to possibly catch theives and get hives back?

Default Re: GPS Trackers for Theft Prevention?

Too expensive to buy....too expensive for service fees...and there are the batteries to deal with....if you are worried , get a couple cameras......or super glue a rfid chip to each bee ..... :-)

Can I get the rfid chips in bulk?

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Can I get the rfid chips in bulk?
    Yes, As low as 15 cents. These will not assist in theft deterrence beyond the TID being a unique number to recognize each marked piece.

As for GPS units. Units with a battery "shelf life" of a couple of a years can be had for about $150 apiece and text notifications for +-$100 a year.

The parameters of the one sitting on my desk can be set via text from any texting cell phone. Set motion detection, geo fence boundaries, and many other things, including sending a temperature report if wanted.

Learning to program the thing is quite daunting but once done I cant wait to pull up beside any fool dumb enough to be walking away with some of my hives and give them the pleasure of seeing the barrel side of a "hive returner"

As per thefts..... this is more prevalent than more people think. I was discussing the issue with a family member of a 10k hive operation who told me they recently busted some local members ....snip by mod......who where dumb enough to place the heisted hives in the general vicinity of the theft. Trial to come. Wouldn't doubt if these scoundrels were connected to many of the other "removals" in recent years.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 03-21-2013 at 07:48 AM.

I wonder what the price is for the trackers for pets. They might be more reasonably priced...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF