Default Morning Sun in the northeast (VT)

I'm a newbie looking for a location to put my 1st hives on my 25 acres which most is wooded. I think I have only one option which is a 5 acre over grown field that I will strait reclaiming this summer and could get to most of it with my JD. The sun hits here around 630 am and stays there probably till 3:30 pm. However it is about 700 yards from the house and no electricity and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a electric fence for bear.
    The other place would be close to the house. But full sun would not hit hives till 8:30 - 9:00 am and last till 2-3 pm. We're up at around 1400 ft and gets a bit nippy in the mornings.
    Would love to do near the house and not need to spend an additional $300 on a solar fence..
    I plan on ratchet strapping the hives to keep them being torn apart.

Any feed back would be helpful....

Lindsey

Default Re: Morning Sun in the northeast (VT)

It sounds like the bear fencing is the main issue. Where ever you can get that done with the least expense, although most states work with beekeepers and bears. I would check with your state and see if they would provide the bear fencing for your hives. You could also check with other clubs in your area and see what their take is on the bears. No sense going to all the work and expense of maintaining the hives and with one fell swoop the bears come in and take care of it. Good luck,

Welcome to the forum
    Marshfield probably has big black fury critters roaming around i take it.
    Been through there countless times , nice country.
    I'm a newbie so can't answer your questions.
    Good luck though !

Ratchet strapping is a bad idea. If the bear can get at the hive, but not easily access it they just crush it like a hollow rotten log. If he knocks it over and it separates you will be able to salvage your equipment.

Have you seen bears in your area? Not all areas in Vermont have bear issues. Bears have very specific habitat needs that not all areas support. There are things you can do to deter bears from around your hives without fencing. A large dog or two will help. Mink traps set around the hives I have been told are a very good bear re-educator.

On a side note you are located in a area steeped in beekeeping history. In 1924 a guy by the name of Dean Hall invented the Frame Grip hive tool. He passed away shortly after and his wife shared it with a guy by the name of Horatio Scott who helped Bertha Hall obtain a patent on it in 1925. The Hall's lived in Marshfield VT and the frame grip is sold by almost every bee supply company to date.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Solar fencer. Just my 2 cents!

I'd opt for the field and put in battery / solar fencing if you think you are going to need it. I've strapped hives before and have had mixed success. In a couple of cases, they just got knocked over (I strapped them to a pallet which makes it harder to tip). In other cases, they got ripped up and in one case the entire 4 box hive was rolled down a small hill before the bear took off. In my opinion, the more sunlight the better.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

if your a newbee like me you will visit your hives often. LIKE EVERY DAY. when growing up my father would work in the garden almost daily and before he left the garden in the evening he would hang his sweaty t shirt on the handle of a shovel in a different spot every night. said it helped to leave a fresh scent that he was there to keep the deer out. i dont remember much deer problems, so i am going to say it works. i have bears in my area. i have seen them on the back lawn takeing down the bird feeders. i have a electric around my hives i also leave a different t shirt or sweat shirt each night i am out back visiting my bees. and yes a pee here and there at the tree line. i had no visits or problems last year. i will do the same this year, and i hope for the same results.
    thats the way i roll.

I use strapping in the winter to keep tops from blowing off. I've never thought about them year round - I think they'll end up being a pain in the neck for inspections. 700 yards would be very expensive to run power from the house, but if you've got bear, you need to have an electric fence. Chargers powered by battery are cheaper than solar, but the batteries will need periodic charging. I went with solar and leave the fences up year round - chargers active. I'm sure it grounds out when buried in snow but as soon as the ground clears it is working again.

Bears in my area are starting to move - I'm glad the fences are there waiting for them.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Thank you everyone...especially bluegrass for the history lesson..I'll have to see if any of the relatives are still around...yes I have seen bear why hunting not to far from my house so they are around... My gut has been saying the field as well and I will take everyone's suggestions.
    Perhaps a stroll in the evening with the dog down to the hives will also leave some unwelcome scent as well. Thanks everyone and have a sweet and prosperous year!