Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Best materials for smoker fuel

41K views 63 replies 42 participants last post by  DJW 
#1 ·
I was even debating on whether or not to use a smoker with my top bar hive, but I live in Florida and the feral bees I come across tend to be a tad hot, if not completely just wanting to completely wipe me off the face of the planet. (and, oh my, may even be Africanized). Yes, I know I could re-queen, etc, but I have to work with them a bit to even undergo that operation, even if I choose to re-queen. To be honest, I'm quite fascinated with their spunk. I know they are survivors.

So, what is the best, cheapest, most readily available material to use in smokers that would tend to be on the "healthier" side for the bees, if that's even possible?

Pine needles?

Oak leaves ?

Oak sticks?

Hemp ? (I don't have any, feds - chill out)

#6 ·
Pine needles have my vote. I also have some cotton and wood pellets I bought from the bee supply that I add on top of pine needles which cause the smoker to burn longer without having to open it up and refuel.

#9 ·
I use chunks of wood left over from making boxes.

Really just avoid anything with any artificial substance on it or in it. Things like paint, pesticide, wood preservatives. Bees have a very limited lifespan. You're the one that lives longer, breathing that stuff. The other thing to consider is what gets in the wax.

#16 ·
I was just quoting from the text I have gathered since my wife and I decided to start bee keeping. Corn cobs are noted as a smoker fuel often. s a kid, we used to collect them out of the fields after the combine did it's thing and my mother used them to make corn cob jelly. The redder the cob the sweeter the jelly. Lots of sugars in a corn cob. Seems like it would be a good fuel. The best fuel is probably the one you have around you. There are places where pine needles may not be available. We have plenty here in the south! :)

#17 ·
Oak pellets for wood stoves. Better smelling than pine needles (which work good but definitely have a stench to them). A couple of weekends ago I did a cutout in a house being rehabbed. It was more than I expected and for a newbee I was their from 10am until 7:40pm. I lit a wad of mowed grass and stuff it in the smoker...got it burning good....filled about half way up with pellets and got that smoking good...finished filling up with pellets and capped it with wadded up green grass/weeds. I did not have to use much smoke during the cutout, just a little bit off and on...every now and then I'd pump the bellows a couple of times for the heck of it. The smoker stayed lit for at least 9-1/2 hours! Pellets are very good once you figure them out. :)

Ed

#22 ·
I have 'Search-Button-Itis'. I'm guilty as charged. (embarrassed).

But such a great thread, even if it's repeated info.

But you know what? I thought since this is a treatment-free forum, I didn't know if I was going catch hell for considering smoking my hive. I guess smoking is pretty much an accepted practice across all philosophies.

I'll post a video shortly of the type of bees I'm contending with here in my backyard hive. My wife pretty much demanded I invest in a smoker, and a better suit, both of which are being shipped to my house as we speak.

#23 ·

Look at all the blood-thirsty bees orbiting my head during this routine inspection. It becomes anything but routine, however, when they are this kamikaze-like. It makes me wonder if the whole hive was sipping a bunch of sake before they started hammering me. I bet hundreds of them die during an inspection when they are this mean.

And CPS, don't worry. My child is completely safe behind a screened-in patio. Don't send a SWAT team, please.

#25 ·
Get those old socks out, you know the ones that strangle your big toe when you wear them and you swear if you can just make it though the day you'll throw them away when you get home.
I've taken and rolled them up a little less than the size of my smoker, then tie them with some sisal or hemp cord. I use a little crumpled newspaper to get the fire started, throw in the socks, top it off with some pine straw and your good to go. I have had one fueling last a pretty good while. Granted only four hives.

I know this can't be my idea I had to have read it somewhere just don't know where. Probably here

#26 ·
It was mentioned many times in many places that burlap from coffee beans (or similar) is really good. In my personal limited experience, my bees - hated pine-needles. I am using pepper-tree dry leaves just because it is readily available in our alleyway and bees tolerate it better than pine-needles. With pine-needles - they attack the smoker. They clearly made a connection between nasty smell and source of smoke. Smart creatures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.