Thread: My Double Nuc

Default My Double Nuc

beehive.jpg
    Here is my finished Double. My two weakest hives will be going in this for the winter. hopefully they will be able to build up. Both have young queens and an okay population. Going to freeze my deeps. Almost forgot Big thanks to Micheal Palmer. His vids has taught me a ton this year.

Default Re: My Double Nuc

Michael Palmer has been a great resource for me, too. Those looks like Coates style nucs?

Here are mine:

Going to scoot them together once it gets cooler out. Don't really feel like worrying about them cooking when it's 90* or so this week. Plus one of the queens hasn't really taken off at all after introduction. I have a couple queens that should be mating or have recently mated and starting to lay. She might get a change of scenery if she doesn't get her butt in gear.

Did you seal up those pocket screw holes? I'm planning on putting 2" of the rigid foam insulation around them and seeing how they can ride it out. They'll probably have some sort of quilt box on top too. What do you have planned for "winterizing"?

planning on building a vented top. lost a hive two years ago because there was not enough ventilation. but the rigid foam is a good idea. maybe staple tar paper to it.

I don't think the tar paper would help much with solar gains on outside of the foam, but I guess it might help bundle it all together. I would probably just duct tape it otherwise. Just hoping both of them take off. Otherwise I will probably be hauling one of them and positioning it on the protected side of a bigger hive and bundling those two together. Which I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

good luck i hope you queen snaps out of it. ebert queens in iowa is who i get my queens from. they have been great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Auck View Post
    ebert queens in iowa is who i get my queens from. they have been great so far.
    That's where these are from. Had good luck last year.

Can someone explain to me why a double nuc is better than a single deep?

bees move up better in winter than side to side keep each other warm

Update: hived both deeps into the double nuc. Hives were very weak and infact had a SHB infestation with one of them and the other had two wax moths in the hive. I only put brood comb or comb that had stores into the nucs. Kinda scared that the SHB will find their way into the nucs. found both queens and moved them over. feeding like crazy to the winter. hope it explodes next spring. will have to draw new comb. had to toss a lot of infested comb. freezing the rest.