Thread: Entrance sizes?

Default Entrance sizes?

I have 3 hives that all have top and bottom entrances. There is one with a smaller top entrance at 1" wide by 3/8" tall. None are really using the bottom entrances now as they are packing in the pollen, hard and fast. So much so that I am noticing that when 4 pollen packed bees are trying to get in, they are pushed off the edge by a huge rush of bees coming out.
    Should I change this shim with a bigger entrance? But we do have below freezing weather on its way and possible snow and if they are brooding up, I don't want them to get chilled because of me.

Default Re: Entrance sizes?

Personally I would close up the upper entrance and reduce the size of the lower to about two bees wide. The bees need to maximize the amount of brood they can cover and less air circulation thru the colony will help them.

Thanks Vance. I have the bottoms at the smallest with a mouse guard. I will take the top entrances off.

Based on watching hives that had smaller entrances vs hives with larger entrances I'm leaning towards leaving all of my entrances small all the time. They seem to do better, all in all.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I am wondering if leaving the mouse guard on all year long would be the ticket.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The only time I inlarge my entrances is in the heat of the summer. Like straight 85deg days and up.