Post Making a small split....

Hello all ..I am making a small 2 frame split so i can have a small hive at my home in town i am just taking two frames of eggs and a new mated queen with 3 frames not drawn out ...Also i think this way i can baby a hive up in town without to much notice in town ...All of my hives are on a trailer cant bring that many hives into town but maybe i can get by with a small "starter" hive .....................YOUR THOUGHTS ?

Default Re: Making a small split....

If you are going with such a small hive, might as well try an observation hive. Not too hard to make, much more interesting than watching a nuc on the porch.
    9 months, 12 colonies, TF (so far)

It would be good to put a frame of nectar and pollen stores in with it.

I guess I sort-of don't understand your question...You have hives out of town, and hives are not really allowed IN town? Why only two frames for the new split? How many hives do you have to contribute to the split? If you have the resources, I would say a frame of eggs, a frame or two of emerging brood, a frame of honey/pollen... You also mention a queen. Are you leaving the donating hive queenless? As I said, I am a bit perplexed. Is this a question, or a statement?