Thread: Moving a hive

Default Moving a hive

This is my second year as a new bee keeper and I decided to buy a full already going hive from a guy about 15 minutes away. I have read that you should trap the bees in the hive for a day or 2 after you move the hive that distance then open it up but put a branch or something in front of the entrance to "reset" them. My concern is it is supposed to be about 70 the next couple of days. Is it safe to leave them closed up in that weather ? Would I be OK opening the hive right away and just putting a branch in the entrance ? Should I put a ventilated inner cover on top to get them air ?

Thanks for any advice.....

Default Re: Moving a hive

take them at night soo u get all the foragers.

As long as it's a few miles I'd open them up when I got them home.They will be fine.Mark,,,,,

OK thanks

Close them up the night before I like to do so about an hour after sunset, if it is particularly warm you may need a puff of smoke or two to get them all in. Then I move then under the cover of darkness. once in the new location I open them up I do not worry about a branch in front of the door as they will have to reorient.