Default New Yorkers question about Minnesota Hygenic Queen procurment / Beekeeping in Norther

Hi All
    So I spent the winter learning more about our craft. I exercised the Mountain Camp Method.......so Thank God for this Website!
    I am now learning about the Minnesota Method of Beekeeping in Northern Climates. I purchased the DVD/2 pamphlets from the University of Minnesota. In it they advise securing Bee's from Minnesota, due to several reasons(winter hardiness/hygienic/etc).
    As I will be having at least 8 splits occurring , and 7 new packages showing up, I am curious about Minnesota Queens.
    So my question is.....what Apiaries in Minnesota is most suggested. The one I find Dr. Spivak seems to be associated with is Glenn Apiaries, but I am under the impression they are in California.
    I have spent the last several years introducing several different hygienic strains in my yards(all except one hive has made it this far alive and waiting for Spring !!!!) , and I would love another strain this year. Any input/advice here on reputable Minnesota Breeders is most welcomed.
    Regards,
    Greathorned

Default Re: New Yorkers question about Minnesota Hygenic Queen procurment / Beekeeping in Nor

The Glenns retired back in 2012, I believe. Much of their stock is now in the able hands of VP Queen Bees. However, I don't remember seeing any mention of Minnesota Hybrids on their site. The only place I remember seeing them is at Georgia Bee Supply. I'm sure there are others, but I'm just not familiar with them.

HTH

Rusty

edited to add: Mikes Bees and Honey out of Ohio is another source!
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 03-25-2015 at 06:49 PM.
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees

Default Re: New Yorkers question about Minnesota Hygenic Queen procurment / Beekeeping in Nor

I'm not sure where to get Minnesota stock these days but you are correct in that it was previously obtained via Glenn's. They actually sold artificially inseminated breeders queens which are then used to graft/raise queens. I used the Minnesota hygienic stock as a component of my breeding. It was solid. My complaint back then was that a good percentage of the selection of stock was from commercial migratory guys most of which didn't actually winter in Minnesota or anywhere in north for that matter. Still good bees but I wouldn't want it as sole basis for non migratory northern beekeeping unless something has changed in last 8-9 years

Greathorned, have you sourced queens from Mike Johnston? If so, how have they worked out? I'm thinking of getting some cells from him for May splits.
    Last edited by maudbid; 03-25-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    Second year, lots of things still to be learned, a bunch of it the hard way.

Not sure if I can write this w/o a moderator deleting, but here I go. Dan Williams at Pine Ridge has/had Glenn, and VP daughters. I have several going into their 3rd summer. Great Queens. I prefer the Glenns over the VPs, but that is personal preference. He is on Beesource, and I hope he doesn't mind me posting this or blowing up his phone line! LOL. These are not MH, and are from Ohio, but great overwintering bees, and show hygentic traits, do what you want with the info.

Ditto Huntingstoneboy on Dan Williams queens.

I'm from Ohio and I bought three nucs from Dan Williams last year and all 3 did great and have made it through the winter. (Try that with package bees)
    Further, he was a great guy to deal with and a pleasure to meet in person.

I would highly recommend giving him a call. (http://williamshoneybees.webs.com/)

Hey Maudbid...No I have not. Thanks I will Check It out.

Huntingstoneboy, thanks.....this is what I am now leaning toward.

Blute308...thanks for the link

Cheers All.

Quote Originally Posted by maudbid View Post
    Greathorned, have you sourced queens from Mike Johnston? If so, how have they worked out? I'm thinking of getting some cells from him for May splits.

Just stumbled across this post. Thanks for the kind words everyone. Glad our queens and nucs have done well for you.

...Any input/advice here on reputable Minnesota Breeders is most welcomed...
    "Minnesota Hygenic" refers to a line of bees first bred for hybrid behavior by Dr. Spivak at the University of MN. She made queens available to many commercial breeders who continued the breeding program. I'm in MN and get my hygienic bees from Nature's Nectar - who in turn get them from a breeder in northern California. I'm not sure but I think the supplier is Olivarez Honey Bees. Wherever they came from, they're great bees - gentle as little lambs and extremely productive.

So don't feel you have to get your MN Hygienic bees from MN. If you have a source you like and trust, stick with it.
    First year bee keeper. One suburban hive. Zone 4a.
    They have the outfit for people who can't resonate -- Morgan Freeman