Default Foundation chewed through at bottom of cells

I had a few drawn frames that I left out for the bees to clean up and they chewed through the foundation at the bottom of the cells so that you can see completely through the comb through the cells. Some of the frames just have a few cells like this and a couple probably have 50-70% chewed through. Will they repair the base of these cells next year and fill them if I put them back on or should I replace the comb with new foundation?

Thanks,
    Matt

Default Re: Foundation chewed through at bottom of cells

Yes, they will repair it. They steal the wax to help make brood cappings this time of year when they slow down or stop on wax drawing. Foundation wax is good clean tender wax and if they rework it then it's less wax production needed in the brood nest.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thanks Ray. I was hoping that was the answer. I normally try to leave them out only a day or so but these were out for 3-4 days and definitely got chewed up worse than I'm used to seeing. There's not many of them but I really hated to lose the drawn comb if they wouldn't repair it.

Oh, I was not reading correctly, these were drawn frames, extracted? that you set out? They can tear them up some trying to get any last drop of honey out of them. They do tend to tear up the combs some. It's wax stored inside the hive in frames they have not drawn yet, that I see them rob wax from foundation to use for cappings. Perhaps they used some for that also off of these you had set out.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

It sounds, to me, like Ray's explanation is, right on the money.

It is amazing how the bees can, when conditions are right, and they choose to do so, repair any and all of this type of damage to comb - and very quickly. I've seen them clean up and repair comb that was nearly destroyed by wax moth larva, so this type of damage is even easier for them to repair, than that.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I have had comb torn up that way and when they repaired it they drew the areas out as drone sized cells. It doesnt matter for honey super frames but dont put good brood frames out to have the bees clean out granulated honey or you will wind up with drone cells you may not want.
    Frank