Default entrance location

I am a newbee at bee keeping and hoping to catch a feral swarm.I have built 2 top bar traps. It is a little early but they are out and baited. Better early than late. My hive is built on the same configuration as the traps. Trap bars will fit the hive when and if the time comes. When I built the traps I was unsure where to put the entrance so I located it on the end about 2 1/2 inches up from the bottom. There hear many different opinions on where to locate the entrance on a top bar hive. Please help me out?

Default Re: entrance location

> many different opinions on where to locate the entrance on a top bar hive.

Well, I doubt that I am going to settle that debate.

My permanent TBHs have entrances at the end, and are just a gap before the first bar. My TBH swarm traps also have an end entrance, but it is a slot about 1/2" x 3 1/2" about 3 inches from the bottom.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”

Have you seen some of the trap and hive configurations on you tube? lol
    Bees don't seem to care one bit.

The entrances are about in the middle of the end pieces on my trap hives. Mine are about three-quarters inch high and four inches long. You may want to tack a piece of half-inch wire mesh over the entrances to keep birds and mice out—they have caused me problems. I also use double entrances—one on each of the end pieces.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...traphive05.jpg

----------
    Tom

Tomas, I enjoyed your pictrues. I especially liked the sugar feeder frame. I had the same idea only I was going to 1/4 inch hardware cloth in stead if the wire. Does it work well or does the sugar crumble and fall off after the bees eat it down. How do you mix your sugar cake? What ratio? Keep doing what you are doing. It looks great.

I like mine on the end better than the middle. I like the brood nest to be at one end so they will be there come winter with food in only one direction.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I like mine on the end better than the middle. I like the brood nest to be at one end so they will be there come winter with food in only one direction.
    Discovered this the hard way. Lost a nuc this winter that ate itself into one corner and starved. Plenty of honey left in hive but it was 3 frames away