Hybrid View

Default handhold video table saw

Has anyone tried this with either a regular saw blade or stackable dado's , it sounds like some of the people are having trouble with it and he talks about a forming blade , don't want to take the time to make the jig and it not work .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5yWQCARkUw
    Last edited by laketrout; 03-16-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Default Re: handhold video table saw

He mentions he is using an adjustable dado blade. I use a regular carbide blade and it works just fine, though it takes a smidge longer to finish the handhold.

This is one of the safer rigged up methods of cutting them I have seen. But I really don't understand why people don't just buy the tool for the job? If you have a table saw you can get a molding head for it that will cut handholds... You can also buy them for a Radial arm saw which is the version I have.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    But I really don't understand why people don't just buy the tool for the job? If you have a table saw you can get a molding head for it that will cut handholds.
    Is it a square cutting molding head that you set at an angle? Can you post a picture?

If I already have a dado blade, what advantage is there in buying a molding head?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I ended up going with Cleo Hogans circular saw method and it turned out real good , took quite a while to adjust everything to center it to my saw but it works with any length board and it free's up the other saws , very happy with it , here's the plans .

http://www.beesource.com/files/handhold.pdf

The instructions to make the jig to make the hand hold with a Skil saw is in the beesource library and there is a video on u-tube to show you how to make it.

You can make the jig in 30 minutes, it is totally safe, and makes a good looking hand hold. No special equipment needed. Just a skil saw and 2 "C" clamps or 2 wood clamps.

For the video go to u-tube and search Cleo Hogan, or, making hand holds on bee boxes using a circular saw safely.

If you have questions, contact me, cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I am happy to assist you.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    Is it a square cutting molding head that you set at an angle? Can you post a picture?

If I already have a dado blade, what advantage is there in buying a moulding head?
    With the moulding head you don't set anything at an angle. It cuts the handhold just by placing the board on the table saw. They are most often used to make moldings, but you can get custom made bits to cut handholds. My head came with a 1 inch cove moulding knife which works fine but you can special order wider knives if you want.

Odfrank has some picture on here if you search his posts.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    With the moulding head you don't set anything at an angle. It cuts the handhold just by placing the board on the table saw. They are most often used to make moldings, but you can get custom made bits to cut handholds. My head came with a 1 inch cove moulding knife which works fine but you can special order wider knives if you want.

Odfrank has some picture on here if you search his posts.
    Is this what you are referring to?: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ght=hand+holds

It seems that odfrank uses cleats.

I have a molding head for my table saw, but have never seen blades for it that will make a cut more than about an inch wide. I am having a difficult time picturing a molding blade that would work on a table saw as you describe. I do not believe the opening in the table would be wide enough.

How does it work on a radial arm saw? Do you crank the saw up and down for each cut?

Do the hand holds that you cut with a cove shape work as well as square cut holes a dado blade would make?
    Last edited by ralittlefield; 03-18-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph