Thread: How many ?

Default How many ?

How many 8 frame medium supers will i need for a 1st year package of bees ?

Thanks

Newbee

Default Re: How many ?

Are you using mediums for hive bodies if so then 3 maybe 4. If you are thinking for honey I would say 1 if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Are you using mediums for hive bodies if so then 3 maybe 4. If you are thinking for honey I would say 1 if your lucky.
    Yes, mediums for hive bodies

I'd plan on three for the bees and then maybe one for honey. As mentioned, getting a crop for the first year is iffy but not unheard of. I like using three mediums but I've also wintered over in two although they are chock full and heavy going into the winter.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I think you should plan on 3 for the brood nest. It is pretty common to use 2 deeps, so 3 mediums would be equivalent.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Installing a package on undrawn frames will require feeding .....both syrup and protein patties would be nice .....feed....feed....feed ....until all the frames are drawn.....might take a month or more.....it's as easy as 3.14 ( pi for a the math challenged )

In my previous post I had not noticed that you had specified that you were using 8 frame boxes. In that case you may want to use 4 boxes for the brood nest.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Thanks for all the input.

I have 4 medium 8 frame bodies put together now so should be all set except that i decided at the
    last minute to get another package of bees to start with the recommended 2 hives I see people talking about.

Looks like i'll be picking up parts for another hive now !

Where does it all end ?

Another question:

There appears to be about an extra inch of space in the hive body after the frames are in place.
    Do you keep the frames tight together and leave the extra space on both sides or
    space the frames equally apart ?

Newbee

I am using eight frame equipment. I keep all of the brood nest frames tight together and in the center of the box, but I space the honey super frames out equally to make uncapping easier.

I push them all together and then center the set between the sides of the box. New frames will have a fair amount of extra space like you mentioned. As time goes on and them bees propolize them, you'll have less space to work with.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Ideally I'd have seven boxes for each hive, but I'd settle for five. In a bumper crop year seven might not be as much as I want...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Looks like i'll be picking up parts for another hive now !

Where does it all end ?
    As a beginning beekeeper, you will feed the hives incessantly, wanting them to build out the frames in those boxes. They will to a point, then about the time flows start, they will have so much, they backfill the broodnest, and swarm. If you have two hives at that point, you'll be running to buy gear for two more, then you will have 4. One will toss up an afterswarm, which means another hive, and then you will have 5.

In the second year, you will realize, overfeeding will produce swarms, not a good thing, but after a whole winter reading about the benefits of having some nucs around, you will buy more gear, and, to pre-empt swarms you will start nucs from those hives. And you will get your first decent crop of honey. Once you have the first decent crop, you'll realize that all of those nucs, could easily become full size hives early next year, and, more equipment will be in order, suddenly you will have visions of many hundreds of pounds of honey.

Ask me how I know....

6 hives, 5 nucs, and THATS ENOUGH....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Ideally I'd have seven boxes for each hive, but I'd settle for five. In a bumper crop year seven might not be as much as I want...
    I'm thinking of going this route, but at seven high what do you do to secure the hive and not have it blow over in bad weather?

Plenty of propolis and a brick

I use three 8 frame mediums for brood nest, I do not use a queen excluder and have never had her go into the fourth box. I have six box's for each hive, but I crush and strain so if I think that I am going to run out of room, I just harvest a box.

ps. it never ends
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blasket View Post
    . . . what do you do to secure the hive and not have it blow over in bad weather?
    Hopefully they are already on steady ground or stable stands. They're not light enough to easily be moved, unless they're still empty.

They shouldn't remain empty for long, or they've been placed there too soon, or too late.

I once had a long hive, 22 deep frames, fill two stacks of 10-frame medium supers, seven high (fourteen all together). Even if those were 8-frame supers, I can't see them budging in anything less than a devastating earthquake or one very strong hurricane.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    As a beginning beekeeper, you will feed the hives incessantly, wanting them to build out the frames in those boxes. They will to a point, then about the time flows start, they will have so much, they backfill the broodnest, and swarm. If you have two hives at that point, you'll be running to buy gear for two more, then you will have 4. One will toss up an afterswarm, which means another hive, and then you will have 5.

In the second year, you will realize, overfeeding will produce swarms, not a good thing, but after a whole winter reading about the benefits of having some nucs around, you will buy more gear, and, to pre-empt swarms you will start nucs from those hives. And you will get your first decent crop of honey. Once you have the first decent crop, you'll realize that all of those nucs, could easily become full size hives early next year, and, more equipment will be in order, suddenly you will have visions of many hundreds of pounds of honey.

Ask me how I know....

6 hives, 5 nucs, and THATS ENOUGH....
    Great answer, along with the others.
    I've started to realize this new hobby of mine will probably spiral out of control.

But i really need bees around here . Last year my apple crop was a total flop , plenty of blossoms
    but not enough pollinators around when i needed them.
    Wondering at this point why I waited so long to get started beekeeping.

>I'm thinking of going this route, but at seven high what do you do to secure the hive and not have it blow over in bad weather?

Mine are low to the ground (on a 4 by, which is 3 1/2") and they are against each other. Since I lowered them I have had few issues with them blowing over. But since once in a while the wind snaps off full grown trees around here, it still blows a hive over once in a while... usually a tall one that is on the leeward side.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF