Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bees in swarm box. What now?

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  BeeDeane 
#1 ·
The bees are going in or at least a large number are checking it out. When do I shut the door and bring them home? Do I wait a day or two or do it tonight?

#2 ·
If they are just swarm scouts, just leave the trap alone. Scouts check multiple potential homes and then the colony makes a decision as to where to go. They may decide that an alternate location is better for them. :lookout:

If you put frames in the trap, I don't see any hurry to move it until after you are sure the colony has moved in. I put in frames, and am happy to have them start comb before I move the box.

#4 ·
Hope I'm not thread jacking but I'm wondering if I have a swarm or not. I had a trap in my back yard nailed to a palm tree in the sun. Another beek told me to put it in the shade, so I put it in a clump of shady bushes last night and today I have about a hundred bees or so darting in and out about 4ft from the palm tree that had no action for a couple of months. There is no comb and the box is new, so I know there is no robbing going on. It's not just a few scout bees there seems to be alot, no pollen though. Should I leave it or move it? The permanant location is in the same spot but on the ground and out of the bushes. the top is screwed on so I'm don't want to go fuss with it and scare the bees away.

#6 ·
I always check mine at night. A coupe taps at the front door should be enough to get them to come see who's there. If you see eyes looking back at you then you have a swarm. I'd let them sit for a good little while if your not in a hurry. I've read if you move em to early they can re-swarm. If that happens then give em a frame of brood and that'll make em stay. Good luck.

#8 ·
It's been a good day. I definitely got that swarm and after checking another site found that I caught another one! I just set these boxes two weeks ago! On top of that I have a hogan trap that should be ready to move a few pounds of bees out of in the next few days. All indications are that this could be a great year for building my hive numbers and gene pool. Thank you all for your expertise and advice. Wood Birdhouse Wood stain Bee Nail
sorry about pic, don't know why it kicked sideways.

#17 ·
Not sure if its OK to post here but... I think I caught a swarm. There was a hive in a duck ants nest which I though was too far and when I eventually had some friends over to collect it, they had swarmed. The reason... the hive was filled with red ants! I felt the survivors couldn't be far and then found some all over a "trap" I had in my veranda this morning. I didn't want to touch anything so hope they stay. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.