Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN, USA
    Posts
    5,011

    Default I used Check mite for SHB...

    My name is Dave (hello dave!) and it really hurts me to admit this, but I recently used check mite plus.

    In January almost every hive in my yard had a serious infestation of small hive beetles, and I was afraid that if I didn't do something soon it would be too late once pollen really started coming in. Plus, I was afraid that if I fed (pollen sub especially) that would aggravate the problem - I felt like my hands were tied.

    So I bit the hard chemical bullet and ordered some Check mite plus. I had heard that it would knock out most SHB in as little as 2-3 days, so I reduced most hives down to one box and put in one strip for one week - the directions say 40 days or so. I marked all of the frames so that I would never extract honey from them. A week or so later (after they aired out) I checkerboarded to give them room and stores.

    When I did a full inspection yesterday I saw one beetle in the entire yard - and general hive health looks pretty good.

    These are just the facts, I'm not in any way advocating the use of hard chemicals (this was my first time) but in this case I judged that it was do or die - and it worked. So far. This time.
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    8,632

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    For those of you who wondered whether David had confused varroa mites with SHB, this is what Brushy Mtn has to say about Check Mite Plus:

    This product is labeled for both Small Hive Beetles and Varroa Mites. Unfortunately many Varroa Mites are resistant to this product so don't waste your money unless you know it will kill your mites. As with all miteacides always follow label instructions. (NOT AVAILABLE FOR ALASKA OR CALIFORNIA)

    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/481/
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN, USA
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Thanks for pointing that out. Also, check mite is the only commercial treatment for SHB that I know of. And the active ingredient is Coumaphos - nasty toxic stuff - I used chemical gloves and handled it with needle nosed pliers. But it really did work.

    Also, they might turn into zombies later, but no bee mortality or adverse effects have been observed so far. Nonetheless they have been exposed to what is essentially a neurotoxin. Something to be avoided if at all possible.

    Hopefully I can get better at management and it will never be required again. Anyway, I'm on the wagon now. One day at a time....
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

  4. #4

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    If you apply Checkmite using the corrugated squares that are often sold for the purpose....there will be less contamination than hanging the strips between frames.
    Just for future reference.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pinal, AZ, USA
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Did you use a ground drench as well? Heard its best to do both if going after SHB.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flora,IL
    Posts
    3,022

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    I would add Gaurdstar as a ground drench if your hives are in the same location. you can get it at any good feed store........otherwise as soon as it warms up last years larve are coming out!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN, USA
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    If you apply Checkmite using the corrugated squares that are often sold for the purpose....there will be less contamination than hanging the strips between frames.
    Just for future reference.
    Beemandan

    I did know that, but I hung the strips for 2 reasons - I had a really bad SHB infestation, and I really wanted to knock that down 2) My bees and mites haven't been treated with anything harder than organic acids since I started 5 seasons ago, so I speculated that I might actually get a pretty good one time mite kill as well. Since I was going nuclear anyway.
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN, USA
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Quote Originally Posted by sergie View Post
    Did you use a ground drench as well? Heard its best to do both if going after SHB.
    I ordered it, but it was back ordered - so not yet. GMcharlie - I didn't know that it was an off the shelf thing. I probably already paid too much, but then again I got free shipping.

    I think I have a promising idea for a new kind of hive beetle trap though.
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    2,013

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    You can buy permethrin from most feed stores. It is the same thing as the Gaurd star and much cheaper.
    Here is a link talking about it. http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page2215.html

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bloomfield,KY
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    I just attended a class on SHB in Frankfort KY during the yearly bee school. Here are a few control measures I heard aboutfrom long time beekeepers in the class.

    Put dense grade gravel beneath hives, it works like diamaceous earth killing the larva.e. Let it come out about a foot around the hive.

    Agricultural lime will do the same.

    Put 4-6 drops of wintergreen oil on a piece of cardboard or pollen patty. DON'T OVERDO IT!! The beetles will run from the hive but if you overdo it the bees will go with them.
    I plan to try the wintergreen oil this year.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    7,018

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    What will be interesting David, is to see if you are able to continue treatment free, in regards to mites, now there is comb contamination in the brood area. Might take a year or two, or three, to find out but I would certainly be interested please update in due course.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mclean Virginia
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    I know this is an old post . I had to comment about treating your hives. Commercial bee keepers have far less bee loss that the non-treating hobbyist. If you get sick do you try homeopathic remedies or do you go to a doctor for medicine?
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    My name is Dave (hello dave!) and it really hurts me to admit this, but I recently used check mite plus.

    In January almost every hive in my yard had a serious infestation of small hive beetles, and I was afraid that if I didn't do something soon it would be too late once pollen really started coming in. Plus, I was afraid that if I fed (pollen sub especially) that would aggravate the problem - I felt like my hands were tied.

    So I bit the hard chemical bullet and ordered some Check mite plus. I had heard that it would knock out most SHB in as little as 2-3 days, so I reduced most hives down to one box and put in one strip for one week - the directions say 40 days or so. I marked all of the frames so that I would never extract honey from them. A week or so later (after they aired out) I checkerboarded to give them room and stores.

    When I did a full inspection yesterday I saw one beetle in the entire yard - and general hive health looks pretty good.

    These are just the facts, I'm not in any way advocating the use of hard chemicals (this was my first time) but in this case I judged that it was do or die - and it worked. So far. This time.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Champaign, Illinois
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    No need to be ashamed. Sounds like you diagnosed and solved a very serious problem in your apiary. Thanks for sharing and please continue.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clifford Township, PA
    Posts
    2,432

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBad View Post
    ....... If you get sick do you try homeopathic remedies or do you go to a doctor for medicine?
    Well, for the past 31 years I've tried homeopathic remedies when sick. Since then, I haven't had a need to get medicine from a doctor.

    Why do you ask?

    Wayne

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mclean Virginia
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    No I think my point was TREAT your hives when you have a significant threat to the hive and **** the organic sticks and twigs methods. Commercial operations are a bread and butter outfit so they have to do whatever they must to ensure a cash crop without of course endangering the public. I have been using the beetle barns from georgia bees with very good success but I will switch to checkmite for the SHB which are quite alarming to see scurrying about my hives...or at least they did until I started fighting them. All I am saying is I have seen people's hard hard work crash and burn endlessly dusting with powered sugar or even worse fogging with mineral oil to treat VD onl because they won't go with best bee practices.....

    Winter is Coming

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cumberland Va.
    Posts
    4,583

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Winter is coming Bad. How are your Virginia Hives looking? Are those VSHxVirginia queens you are running? Don't be afraid of the Ghost. Monitor and act accordingly should you wish to treat. You would be amazed at the difference in Varroa tolerance when you start with something with the genes to battle it joined with your local ferrals. You really should try and enter conversations less combative. Good Luck to you. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    7,018

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Kind of agree with your sentiments Beebad and I do use chemicals in my hives, but coumaphos IS one of the nasty ones I would do anything rather than use that one.

    No problem with David he did what it took to save his bees. But the problem with coumaphos is longer term, down the track it can affect the fertility of any new queens the bees may raise, and the fertility of drones.

    There is talk of making coumaphos a legal bee remedy in my own country, I am completely opposed.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cumberland Va.
    Posts
    4,583

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    G G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cumberland Va.
    Posts
    4,583

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    I would like to see numbers to back up the inferences of Beebad. I have nothing against anyone treating, but when someone comes along in their second year spitting vitriol I think its time for a checkup.

    Did you try and go maintenance free with a couple of packages from Georgia Beebad? Anybody that did an ounce of research would have known better than to try that. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN, USA
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Kind of agree with your sentiments Beebad and I do use chemicals in my hives, but coumaphos IS one of the nasty ones I would do anything rather than use that one.

    No problem with David he did what it took to save his bees. But the problem with coumaphos is longer term, down the track it can affect the fertility of any new queens the bees may raise, and the fertility of drones.

    There is talk of making coumaphos a legal bee remedy in my own country, I am completely opposed.
    In retrospect I may have over reacted at the time, although the infestation level was pretty severe for the time of year - everyone complained about it that year.

    And even if I didn't over react the reason that the hive beetles were so strong in my yard to begin with was mostly that I didn't take proper care of my bees in July and August. My sorry excuse is that I had a construction project with a rushed schedule going at the time. Nonetheless nutrition and mite treatments were neglected during the stressful (because of heat, dearth, and robbing that year) late summer pre-buildup period. So, bad beekeeping all around.

    Nonetheless I probably would not use the checkmite now - instead I would do everything possible to keep the bees healthy, well fed and relatively mite free.
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads