Default I used Check mite for SHB...

My name is Dave (hello dave!) and it really hurts me to admit this, but I recently used check mite plus.

In January almost every hive in my yard had a serious infestation of small hive beetles, and I was afraid that if I didn't do something soon it would be too late once pollen really started coming in. Plus, I was afraid that if I fed (pollen sub especially) that would aggravate the problem - I felt like my hands were tied.

So I bit the hard chemical bullet and ordered some Check mite plus. I had heard that it would knock out most SHB in as little as 2-3 days, so I reduced most hives down to one box and put in one strip for one week - the directions say 40 days or so. I marked all of the frames so that I would never extract honey from them. A week or so later (after they aired out) I checkerboarded to give them room and stores.

When I did a full inspection yesterday I saw one beetle in the entire yard - and general hive health looks pretty good.

These are just the facts, I'm not in any way advocating the use of hard chemicals (this was my first time) but in this case I judged that it was do or die - and it worked. So far. This time.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Default Re: I used Check mite for SHB...

For those of you who wondered whether David had confused varroa mites with SHB, this is what Brushy Mtn has to say about Check Mite Plus:

This product is labeled for both Small Hive Beetles and Varroa Mites. Unfortunately many Varroa Mites are resistant to this product so don't waste your money unless you know it will kill your mites. As with all miteacides always follow label instructions. (NOT AVAILABLE FOR ALASKA OR CALIFORNIA)

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/481/
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Thanks for pointing that out. Also, check mite is the only commercial treatment for SHB that I know of. And the active ingredient is Coumaphos - nasty toxic stuff - I used chemical gloves and handled it with needle nosed pliers. But it really did work.

Also, they might turn into zombies later, but no bee mortality or adverse effects have been observed so far. Nonetheless they have been exposed to what is essentially a neurotoxin. Something to be avoided if at all possible.

Hopefully I can get better at management and it will never be required again. Anyway, I'm on the wagon now. One day at a time....
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

If you apply Checkmite using the corrugated squares that are often sold for the purpose....there will be less contamination than hanging the strips between frames.
    Just for future reference.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Did you use a ground drench as well? Heard its best to do both if going after SHB.

I would add Gaurdstar as a ground drench if your hives are in the same location. you can get it at any good feed store........otherwise as soon as it warms up last years larve are coming out!

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    If you apply Checkmite using the corrugated squares that are often sold for the purpose....there will be less contamination than hanging the strips between frames.
    Just for future reference.
    Beemandan

I did know that, but I hung the strips for 2 reasons - I had a really bad SHB infestation, and I really wanted to knock that down 2) My bees and mites haven't been treated with anything harder than organic acids since I started 5 seasons ago, so I speculated that I might actually get a pretty good one time mite kill as well. Since I was going nuclear anyway.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by sergie View Post
    Did you use a ground drench as well? Heard its best to do both if going after SHB.
    I ordered it, but it was back ordered - so not yet. GMcharlie - I didn't know that it was an off the shelf thing. I probably already paid too much, but then again I got free shipping.

I think I have a promising idea for a new kind of hive beetle trap though.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

You can buy permethrin from most feed stores. It is the same thing as the Gaurd star and much cheaper.
    Here is a link talking about it. http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page2215.html

I just attended a class on SHB in Frankfort KY during the yearly bee school. Here are a few control measures I heard aboutfrom long time beekeepers in the class.

Put dense grade gravel beneath hives, it works like diamaceous earth killing the larva.e. Let it come out about a foot around the hive.

Agricultural lime will do the same.

Put 4-6 drops of wintergreen oil on a piece of cardboard or pollen patty. DON'T OVERDO IT!! The beetles will run from the hive but if you overdo it the bees will go with them.
    I plan to try the wintergreen oil this year.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

What will be interesting David, is to see if you are able to continue treatment free, in regards to mites, now there is comb contamination in the brood area. Might take a year or two, or three, to find out but I would certainly be interested please update in due course.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).