Thread: TF and EFB

Default TF and EFB

Hi all,

Had nuc that I was growing to a single 2 yrs ago break out with moderate case of EFB. I closed it up dumped heavy soapy water down it to take out the bees. Been in my basement for 2 yrs now to let wax moths do there thing and eat away the combs; which they did. Normally I would just torch the frames. Finally set up to process combs with steam for milling the wax into foundation. My old way was to to water bath combs a much less efficient way. Does anyone know if steam will destroy EFB? If so how long would be adequate to destroy EFB? Just sterilizing the equipment not saving any wax. Thanks.

Default Re: TF and EFB

EFB is not that tough to eradicate. Now if you are talking AFB that is a whole different can of worms!

All I do if I see signs of EFB is feed colonies sugar syrup with a tiny amount of essential oil eucalyptus. The queen is removed if the symptoms don't clear. EFB resides in the food source and in the stomachs of the bees when the larvae is fed they become infected. Feeding syrup with EO's helps clear it out of their stomachs removing the queen causes their to be a brood break. This gives the nurse bees time to clean out all infected brood and consume what food is infected in the hive. No need to burn anything.

AFB in our state requires we burn everything.

If it is EFB I would just use the frames as is.
    Follow our videos and photos below. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tenne...35936049943850

EFB doesn't form spores, right? So once the colony is dead for long enough, the EFB bacteria is dead, too? I'm not really very experienced with EFB, as it has been a rare thing in my bees and has always cleared up on its own. but, that's what I would think of it.

115 to 120 degrees will kill efb

Thanks everyone that was my second case of EFB ever and wasn't sure what was best to clean up the equipment. I used antibiotics when I had my first case over 20 yrs ago. Being I am now off all treatments for over 15 yrs that is no longer an option for me. I don't play any games with any fouls of any type. I don't want any footholds from any diseases to haunt me later rather safe than sorry.

May different ways to sterilized;

temp in water "63 deg C for 10 min"
    in honey "79 deg C for 10 min"
    drying at room temp "approximately one year"
    Direct sunlight "from 21-31 hours"

This old book has lots of information that will put to rest a lot of the myths about EFB. It is amazing how much they knew about it then almost 100 years ago.

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en...stance&f=false

I have been steam melting EFB frames/combs and not seeing re-occurrence.
    I have upgraded my steam supply and the rig now works even better.