Hybrid View

Default Bee Escape as SHB trap?

I've been toying with this idea - A beetle trap that uses the same basic idea as a bee escape/minnow trap/trap out cone. That is - funnel the buggers into a cage that they can't figure out how to get out of.

I figure once they are confined without access to food/water they will mostly just dry up and die without much mess - no more disgusting oil full of putrid beetle/larva corpses. If it was incorporated into the bottom board it might even catch the exiting larva.

The easiest way to try this would be to just staple a piece of screen wire on the back of an escape board, and some #8 HW Cloth over the escape entrance hole - although I'm sure that some other configuration would be more efficient. Something with SHB entrances in the corners of the top and/or bottom boards (using their usual refuge areas to corral them in) maybe, or round "cartridges" that could insert into holes drilled near the hive entrance (using the hive smell as bait) maybe.

Anyway, before I reinvent the wheel - has anyone tried this before?
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Default Re: Bee Escape as SHB trap?

Intriguing idea. Lots of insect trap devices use use a behavior to fool them. Like the bee escape. The beetles are so thin and active. Seems to me a more "complicated" device so it would be less likely for them to accidentally wander out. A switch back? Debris that gets them tangled/caught up in. A flap one way door. Just thinking out loud.
    Rick

I'm thinking that the bees would probably still guard the door like they do now, but the funnel device would just make it less likely that the SHB would swarm out whenever they get a chance - like during inspections. Even if containment was not perfect it might make a significant difference.

You know, some screen wire widgets added to the inside of a CD case might be a possibility - but something less easily propolized shut would be easier for the bee keeper to manage.

Just spitballing here.

I've kind of envisioned a "bottom board of death that has all of the positive aspects of a fully screened BB but made of screen small enough to impede SHB, and with escape cone type devices in the corners - entrances both top and bottom. Screened to keep from trapping bees of course. Might trap beetles both on their way in and out.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Multiple narrow cones into cd case? Like herding horses into a narrow canyon then into a gated pen. The odds of them finding their way back out would on the high side one would think.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    Multiple narrow cones into cd case? Like herding horses into a narrow canyon then into a gated pen. The odds of them finding their way back out would on the high side one would think.
    Rick
    Toyed with also , enough to build a cpl prototypes.. so far nothing good. One is a maze style. but they do get back out. the other was a "one way door" like a piegon trap but can't get them to push in yet..........

In WW ll, they taught pigeons to peck at a center spot to guide missiles. The pigeon trap made me think of that. Perhaps, we need the bee to drive the beetle through the trap door. Nothing like a predator at your heels to motivate you.
    Rick