Thread: recombine queen

Default recombine queen

Hi, All ! Last year I put new queen bee into a hive and too fast to release her. The worker bees not belonging to this queen killed her one
    week later. This year I made a hive split with one queenless hive from the same queen where they came from.
    My question is after one week, do the queenless hive still recognize their own queen if I put her back into their hive?
    I am worry that they might not recognize her and killing her again.

Default Re: recombine queen

If I understand the question, you are wanting to combine a queen less hive with a queens hive. If that is the question? Yes, you can do a newspaper combine and they will be fine. However, depending on how strong the queen less hive is you might want to consider taking a frame with eggs from the queen rite hive and giving it to the queen less hive and let them make their own queen.

Ken you are almost correct. I don't want the queen less hive to be weak in population. They are already 7 queen cells in the making in the hive. Right now they have one comb all fill up with sealed broods that will hatch in April. The purpose for the combine is to have the queen bee lay more eggs in the old hive since they have no more larvae. Then I realize you said they will make more queen cells. I don't want more queen cells and not want to kill them all. So my best bet is to take 1 frames of larvae from the queen right hive to put in. But there is the chance they might make more queens from this frame from the eggs.
    So is putting a frame of sealed broods will be o.k.? My concern is not having the young larvae in the queen less hive. They don't need the eggs or larvae but still be fine, right. This is my first time to do a split so got a lot to
    learn.

What is your goal here?

The goal is to make 2 hives split, initially. Then the queenless hive made 7 queen cells. I did not do a graft so no control over what they build themselves. Now I don't want to kill off the other queens so I have to improvise. Split up more hives to accommodate all the new queen cells. So 2 hives might turn into 4 or 6 hives later on depending on how many queens that hatched and finish mating to lay. Oh, too much fun that Spring is finally here. I think I got everything under control now. Make more hive and splits is the only way I can think of. Thanks, Ken.