Thumbs Up hello from north carolina

I have always been facinated by honey bees since I was a kid. I was introduced to feral honey bee swarm 8 years ago by accident.
    I was given 2 small raccons to raise and set free by a wildlife reabilitor. I built a wood box, about 20 liters in size with a 6 inch opening and placed in a large white pine tree with the opening facing south east for the raccons to live in. This is where they stayed untill they grew up and left. The following spring a swarm of feral bees moved in. I regret to say they didn't make it over the next winter. I promised myself when I retired and had some free time I would like to try raising bees. I have been doing a lot of studying and reading on the subject of feral honey bees being very resistant to many of the problems assoicated with raising bees. I have built 2 top bar swarm traps and have placed them in locations where I have seen feral bees in the past. If I should get lucky and catch a swarm this spring I will have lots of questions. Looking forward to being part of your group.

Default Re: hello from north carolina

Welcome and good luck in catchimg a swarm. I would like to catch one myself.

Welcome Joe!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to Beesource!

Consider adding a few drops of lemongrass oil to the interior of the hive to improve the chances of catching a swarm. More info:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Welcome

Welcome. I'm an hour south of you. Beesource is great.

Welcome to the site! I just came in from plowing the garden spot. Tractor came from Lynn Pennell there in Lenoir. Good folks. If you are half as good a fellow as Lynn you are OK in my book! :-) Good luck!