Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Swarm on chain link fence

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KQ6AR 
#1 ·
How do you get a swarm off of a chain link fence? I got a call just before dark this evening. He sent a picture. It looks like the swarm is on a post in the corner of a chain link fence. If it's still there in the morning I am going to go and try to get it.

#4 ·
I'm with Mr.Beeman on this one. Before I tried physically removing them from the fence I would try a brood box...I had a couple of swarms go in last year with nothing but new equipment and foundation in them which was very interesting to me...it was like a stampede in miniature...it must of been the darkness of the entrance or something. The brood would probably seal the deal, or maybe just some drawn comb. If they refuse to march in like nice ladies then move on to physically removing them from the fence.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but watch the bees carefully after you get them home for any aggressiveness as there are Africanized bees in your state.

Best wishes,
Ed

#7 ·
I took one off a chain link fence last year. Put a nuc box on a ladder to get it near the swarm. Then took bees carefully by the handful & put them in the nuc box. Eventually they started going on their own.
It was a lot of fun with neighbors on both sides watching, gradually working up the courage to get up close & personal with the bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.