Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Installed my first packages ever

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Here is a video of my first install of bee packages I did yesterday. I think it went fairly well. I ended up putting the syrup cans in another jar. The bees have been very active and have eaten about a qt of syrup each so far.

#2 ·
Looks good to me. Its fun isn't it?

Those entrances feeders should be fine to start with but you may find that if you try to use them later in the year they will set off robbing. If you set an empty box on top of an inner cover you can just set the feeders inside that on the top and not have the robbing problems.

Also if it is still getting below freezing at night you may need to put some baggie feeders on the top bars, the bees have no reserve right now and if its too cold to get to the entrance feeders they could starve over a couple days if it stayed cold.

EDIT: I see now that you live in florida so never mind about the cold.

#4 ·
Ohh, and the drones coming back sound like B1 bombers flying by your head! They seem kinda dumb too, they didn't have the right glide slope coming in and missed the hive entrance board numerous times. They'd fly under the hive and have to come back around.

#7 ·
This is a video of my first hive inspection. I found the queen in this hive and it looks to be very strong(compared to my other hive). There were two supersedure cells that were partly made. I did not see any capped brood. Is this something to worry about? I'm on day 8 after installing my packages. What should I be looking for? It looked like they had stored nectar and pollen. Ohh, there was probably 7 frames drawn out already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.