Thread: Low bee numbers

Default Low bee numbers

Just opened the hive again after a couple of weeks, I had had feed and pollen pattie on them. Was shocked there was only about a frame full of bees, queen is still there, no larvae, no capped brood, no stores, no sure what happened from 2 weeks ago, I did spot and kill what I thought was a shb, this I am guessing was here as the hive became weak? Is there any hope for bringing this back...I placed a Baggie feeder on top of the frames with 1:1 in it what else can I do if anything or is it likely a lost cause?.?
    Weather is great...80,s just wish the bees were too

Default Re: Low bee numbers

They will be behind for a while, but should recover IF the queen starts laying. She should have been by this time though. Any swarm cells on the frames?

No swarm cells, I just put some sugar water out in the yard and bees are going crazy, for it, so just hoping they will come back maybe they did not like the top feeder?

are you sure it is not robbing?

No, I do still have the entrance reduced...

I looked into my two hives today and there was low bee numbers, too. No brood, eggs, or queen that I could see in either hive. Capped and uncapped honey available in both hives and there was mountain camp sugar on the top frames. I put robber screens on both hives and will check in a week and hope for the best.

The weather here has really been up and down. I'm hoping that's what has everything delayed.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

How are the other hives doing? And what type of queen bee do you keep?
    What is your hive set up like? Any open bottom screen at this time of year?
    Looks like you feed them a bit late here. But it depends on what type of bees
    you have.
    If you have another hive with good sealed broods then you can add to this
    hive to make the population grow. Make sure that you know these broods
    are about to be hatch too. This way it shorten the incubation time to keep them
    warm with only 1 frame of bees.
    Also, I am feeding them syrup and honey mixed in a jar feeder and zip loc baggies.
    The honey gave them more strength and power. Every time I feed them honey they
    would swarm out their hive taking an orientation flight. I feed in the morning and they
    swarm flying in the afternoon. So if you want them to grow faster give them the honey,
    not just the 1:1 syrup. At this early Spring they need more energy to grow and harvest
    nectar and pollen. I also planted triple rows of canola both purple and green type to
    supplement feed them. If you don't have honey then give them 2:1 syrup. Some double
    up to 3:5 syrup. I have not try this one yet. Others have with good result they said to
    build up faster. Too much sugar will kill my bees I think, not sure on this one.
    Oh, the honey and syrup mixture need to be all taken in 1 day if possible. Just give them
    enough without any left over. A small sandwich bag should be enough for one day.