Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 46 Degrees and Windy/Inspector Showed Up

Yesterday, the high temperature here was 46 degrees and it was windy. My wife let me know that the apiary inspector had showed up. From his notes I see that there were no problems whatsoever and strong numbers in both of my two hives. While I'm pleased with the information from someone with much more expertise than myself, I'm surprised/concerned about having had my hives opened up given the weather conditions. I wasn't there to see what exactly was done. For those of you with more experience, would this concern you? I'm especially curious about any problems that might arise from chilled brood. What should I look for if I get a good day, and within what time frame?

Thanks.

Default Re: 46 Degrees and Windy/Inspector Showed Up

Call the inspector up and ask him what he did. It wouldn't make sense to me that he would do something to the hive that was detrimental. I don't suppose he would have his job too long if he when around killing people's bees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Call the inspector up and ask him what he did.
    I'd prefer to avoid the possibility of creating an adversarial relationship. That's why I posted my questions here.

It wouldn't make sense to me that he would do something to the hive that was detrimental.
    That's why I have reasonable questions.

I don't suppose he would have his job too long if he when around killing people's bees.
    I couldn't care less. And that has nothing to do with what has already been done to my hive.

I'd prefer to avoid the possibility of creating an adversarial relationship. That's why I posted my questions here.
    Its not possible to have any other kind of relationship with someone who has 'inspector' in his title.

It's an annual practice my inspector shows up in October, usually when it's raining and 45 degrees. In NY they always call 1st. We've never had that issue with the South Carolina inspector. I agree with don't make waves unless it's necessary, everyone should be professional but that doesn't mean you won't get someone who is not.

I would not let an inspector open my hives at below 55, although we open hives at 45F and I've done emergency work at those temps you are distubing what is a solid cluster and if there is brood you could potentially end up with chill brood if the cluster was disturbed too long although unlikey.. Having said that, hopefully your inspector is knowlegeable enough to carry it out and only disturb the cluster to the 1st couple of brood frames, at a time when the bees have enough warm time to reorganize the cluster. I would pick a warm day and make sure a queen didn't get rolled and killed but other than that I would be suprised if you saw any real damage to a strong hive.

I would call the inspector for a get aquainted call, thanks him for doing the inspection and suggest he call you next time so you can observe the inpsection as you'd like to learn from anything he/she might know. Inspections is a pain but I've had some good inspectors who taught me a great deal.

My bet is
    The inspector
    Looked into your hives
    The inspector
    Didn't pull brood
    The inspector
    Verified the brood and amount of bees
    The inspector
    Gave you an A on hive health
    Id say Your inspector is knowledgeable enough to
    Inspect without dismantle

JMHO

I wouldn't think he would need permission to look through your hive if you're not home. If your wife gave him permission maybe she should make him wait next time.

I would guess he just opened the inner cover to take a quick look, When it warms up check your hive, you might be able to tell which frames were broken free from their winter propolis. If they have been locked down since fall.

na, all he would of done was pull a frame an quickly check your two hives.
    dont worry about it
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

If like most states the inspector is over worked and under paid (be glad your state still funds one). Probably spent a minimal amount of time so that he could get around to all his other appointments. He probably did what I do on my first spring inspection. Looked, listened and smelled. Listen = bees alive, looked=pop the top quickly not removing any frames = nice size cluster, smell = you just know what healthy bees smell like. Maybe quickly pull a frame or two of brood if something looks/smells amiss. IF you have chilled brood you will know it in a day or two when they start dragging out the dead brood but I think it is unlikely. By the way, the inspector probably lurks on here and already knows your concerns

Our inspectors here in Florida are great. They will take the time to answer any questions you have. They are not like some of the building inspectors I had to deal with when I built my house. They were a pain.

I would not worry about your hive. They are normally in and out very fast. Most inspectors are only really concerned about foul brood. So they pull a couple frames of brood and then move on. They are not there to do a full inspection pulling all the frames out. You should be fine.

It bothers me that an inspector from any branch of the government would just show up without setting up an appointment.

Er, flynn, it looked like bird up there offered some fair thoughts and observations to you but you appear to resent his remarks or something.

I think if you called the inspector and asked him what he did it would depend on your tone of voice and true intentions as to how he would respond. If you speak with an inquiring "I want to learn" attitude then you will probably make a contact that sees your interest and will be glad to share information with you now and in the future. If your voice on the phone arrives at his ear with an accusatory tone that he "violated" your bees (opened your hives up when it was too cold) he is a human being and will mostly likely note your attitude for future reference. Bee clubs are great for "networking" but bee inspectors know most *everybody* in the region that keeps bees and sometimes when you're in a tight for something they just might know somebody that can help you out...a good contact to have.

I can understand your concern after you've lost all of your hives over the last couple of years, Doug. I would imagine the bee inspector has a good bit of experience working bees in your area, though, so I wouldn't be too much worried about what he did. It seems like it would be a situation that your bees are coming out of the winter well enough to get a good report from the inspector.

Now, if you ever come home after the bee inspector has been there and find 5-gallon buckets of water on top of your hives then you need to get prepared for a hurricane. (my will power is weak, bird)

Ed

Thanks to all for the helpful input. Apologies to bird and swamp if you were offended. Obviously, I know I could call the guy. Also, I certainly don't think anybody is running around deliberately desiring to do any harm. And I'm not upset about him showing up and inspecting unannounced. I would like to meet him and be able to go through the hive with him though, but not because I question his judgement, I just enjoy it and would like to see if my understanding matches up with what he is seeing. I would prefer to do it under better conditions, and I really don't want to risk giving a wrong impression for the very reason some have mentioned, it is a valuable relationship. I thought I had more time to call and ask for an inspection. At some point I'm sure I can set something up and I think the likelihood of establishing a good working relationship would be much better when I am asking him to show up rather than explaining things afterward.

How else would anything get regulated BNM1000? That element of surprise keeps things from being hidden. If I knew he was coming and had something to hide, that would be great!

Paul - I am a big proponent of individual property rights. I don't believe an inspector should have the right to show up and go on your property without you being present. Now in this case, the wife probably gave permission so that is a different situation.

How else will we have rule of law? If enforcement agencies cannot enforce what is the point? That being said, courtesy goes a long way, but in the end, look at enforcement officials such as game wardens or livestock inspectors. They can go anywhere at anytime in most places - and without a warrant. It's the only way to catch violators in the act. Your bee inspector, most definitely is a type of enforcement official.

All this governement hating is killing us. These positions are like they are for a reason, usually because of a past problem - have some sanity lest we turn completely into a nation of scofflaws and criminals..
    Last edited by Paul McCarty; 03-15-2013 at 04:13 PM.

A quick inspection--I think they'll be fine

We do have the fourth amendment which protects your right of privacy against search and seizures. The police can't randomly search you without just cause. The government can't come into your house without a warrant. I am a big believer in the rule of law, but bee inspectors shouldn't have more power than the police. Our county requires you to register your pets. Would you be upset if a County Inspector showed up while you were at work, let themselves in to your house in order to verify whether or not you had complied with the local pet ordinance?

I am sure that a bee inspector would have to follow certain rules and protocols, not just show up at your house unannounced. And if they did show up unannounced, I would bet that you would have the right to refuse them access if you so chose.

Exactly.

Laws are there to protect us from the government, not the other way around. If ever find an inspector going through my hives (not even sure if we have them in my state) I will hold him at gunpoint and call the police. Period. If he does not comply I will treat him like any other hostile trespasser.

On the other hand if an inspector calls me up and says that he would like to check on my bees I may consider letting him unto my property and letting him take a look as long as he understands that I will consider anything he has to say advice and I will not take orders from him without a court order enforced by armed police. (And even then...)

All this governement hating is killing us. These positions are like they are for a reason, usually because of a past problem - have some sanity lest we turn completely into a nation of scofflaws and criminals..
    Rule of Law is only as good as the laws.

I wonder what it would be like to be as trusting as you. I don't even trust my own parents with the faith you have in the government. The government is nothing more than people, who in the most part are stupid, selfish and cowardly. They are no better an no worse than anybody else, which is why they should be trusted no further than you would trust any other stranger.

I would be pretty ticked if the Inspector showed up unannounced and looked through my hives without my permission. Anybody can fake official looking paperwork and claim to be something/someone they are not. If somebody wanted to steal some hives it would be great if they had the opportunity to inspect them first and make sure they were worth taking.

In this situation I would call the state inspector and verify that he inspected your hives.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast