Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have any of you used mineral oils to treat for mites?

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/1...mweb:undefined

I was thinking of buying mite away strips or hopguard from Mann Lake but I was told this was a better (and much cheaper) way of treating.

I've been told 16 fl oz could treat up to 300 single hives, you just put it in your smoker and smoke them.

Anyone have any experience with this, or anything similar?

Default Re: Have any of you used mineral oils to treat for mites?

I think mineral oil is highly flammable? it was meant to be dispensed through a back yard fogger fat Bee man has a great you-tube on this.

Look for threads on FGMO or mineral oil fogging.
    Dr Pedro Rodrigues did a lot of research on FGMO for varroa.
    I fog with FGMO and wintergreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    I fog with FGMO and wintergreen.
    How much wintergreen are you using per???

I have been very pleased with the results of Hopguard and seems very gental on the Bee's.

No, you can't just put it in your smoker. It will just burn very hot and very dangrously...

Yes, you can treat with FGMO. I first used it by painting it on the top bars and then by fogging (with an insect fogger). Then I get them all regressed on small cell and have never used it since...

IMO it does not have a lot of knock down power, but it seems to help if used regularly (like once a week) throughout the active year.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post

IMO it does not have a lot of knock down power
    I am considering stabilizing mite loads with this method starting next season. I have read that using wintergreen or spearmint oil gives it more knock down power - do you have any experience with that?

Also, I assume you want any honey supers off prior to doing this sort of treatment?

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a fogger.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheBeekeeper View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to buy a fogger.
    I assume that you have read this thread today?

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-fogging-today

From what I gather with regard to using the pure oil is simply that you need to rely on it not for knock down power, but routine maintenance. I have read anywhere from once a week to once every 3 weeks (5 seconds-20 seconds of fog). If your mite loads are high, then you may want to consider utilizing an essential oil with it. Fat bee man says 15 drops per 16oz pure oil for medium mite loads, 25-30 drops per 16oz for high mite loads. I would assume the addition of essential oils means you woudl want to pull supers, but I am not sure.

You probably have read the above information, but in the case you didn't...

FYI - I have not tried this method so I am not posting my experience.

>I am considering stabilizing mite loads with this method starting next season. I have read that using wintergreen or spearmint oil gives it more knock down power - do you have any experience with that?

I tried it with wintergreen essential oil and without. I did not do the experiment long enough nor with enough controls to have any firm conclusions except that it didn't seem to hurt.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yes I concluded the same. I'll be doing it once every two weeks or so.

However, the man who told me about this (commercial beekeeper, 6,000-8,000 hives) says his beekeepers use it at the Almonds (February-March) and right about now (not continually) and that it works well for them like that.

To stay safe though, I'll be doing it as often as I can.

Another thing I thought was very relevant from MB's website/book was that continued use does have the potential of perpetuating stock that is not tracheal mite resistant.

Did that commercial bee keeper indicate frequency and dosage per hive by any chance? Just curious

No. I was just told that 16 fl oz could treat up to 300 single-story hives and that you just put it in the smoker (maybe he meant fogger), and that that's how they treat for mites.

I ordered an insect fogger, I don't know how to use it but I'm guessing I just pour in the whole bottle of FGMO and fog away at the mites.

I have come in late to this thread, does the fogging kill the mites or just knock them off the bees? How about if you just put some of it (don't know exactly how much you would need) on a chunk of cotton rag and burned that in your smoker to fog them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Yes, you can treat with FGMO. I first used it by painting it on the top bars and then by fogging (with an insect fogger). Then I get them all regressed on small cell and have never used it since...

IMO it does not have a lot of knock down power, but it seems to help if used regularly (like once a week) throughout the active year.
    that's just great to hear i'm there now days that's what I been doing the last 2 years first year put them on 4.9 and been fogging all year this year and things are just awesome very low mite loads happy healthy bees.
    And this coming from you that make me feel like I have been doing things right .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

I have been using the fogging method this summer. I did a 24 hour mite check before and right after the fogging and the mite drop count almost double afterwards. What I took away from this is that it helped. After I fogged them they all came out of the hive and started to really clean themselves, so I don't know if it was the fogging that killed them or the fact the bees started to groom themselves. Also I have been using wintergreen and tea tree oil in the sugar water to help with mites and other things. This spring I think it really help. I had a hive That had a huge mite count comming out of the winter(several 100 in 24 hours), and I feed as much of this oil/sugar/water mix as I could and now they have mite counts around 5 or 6(24 hour mite counts).

Well, I just read somewhere that fogging suffocates the mite, but I'm sure grooming causes them to fall off down to the bottom of the hive also. Makes me wonder if fogging might be as effective as say, Hopguard?

This might sound stupid.....but what hopguard?

Its a mite treatment that has been around for a couple years now I think, its made with an acid that is derived from the brewing process. You apply strips to your brood chambers like some of the other similar treatments.

I am also fogging with FGMO plus 15 drops of spearmint oil (in 16 oz of FGMO) every week. I just did the eighth fogging yesterday. Tomarrow I will do a 24 hour sticky board mite count.. I will post results.
    Charlie

13 hives zone 5