Default Question about Homemade Swarm Lure?

In my years of beekeeping I have culled plenty of mature queen cells now that I am setting swarm traps and having luck I have seen beekeepers like fat beeman take culled queens and put them in alcohol and I know it's a good lure partly because of the QMP in it, that with pure lemongrass oil and old comb are hard to beat. My question is what type of alcohol are they using is it just regular 70% Isoproply Rubbing alcohol or some other type? Thanks.

Default Re: Question about Homemade Swarm Lure?

I think it is rubbing alcohol. I just started to save queens as well. To me it smells like alcohol!

I've heard that if you are using LGO then don't use a commercial lure or homemade QMP. The LGO would mask the QMP. It wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't help. I don't know that to be true, it is just what I have read.

I just used rubbing alcohol (70% Isopropyl) but vodka or everclear would work just as well...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Plus one on the everclear. If you have a bad day of beekeeping it will make you forget all about the bees.

I believe the thought behind the rubbing alcohol is that the smell will dissapate quickly leaving the queen's scent behind.

Sounds like the next new alcoholic beverage in the gay bars (not that I would know what a gay bar looks like). Maybe we can call it "The Drunk Queen"?