Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do blondes have more fun?

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Daniel Y 
#1 ·
I have long dark hair about the color of a bear, and the bees can't stand it. I can't get to close to a hive without bees getting in my hair around my neck. Once they get tangled up in my hair they won't stop until they find some meat, and drive one in my neck. I have noticed that people with lighter color, or gray hair, don't seem to have the same problem. Has anyone else noticed this?

#2 · (Edited)
I don't think it is your hair color, I think it is your shampoo/conditioner. I switched to Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine conditioner a couple weeks ago and got dive bombed 3 times just working 25 ft. from my hives. It was the first and last day I used it, and the only time it happened. It does have fruit extracts in it, although it doesn't specify banana like I suspected. But I'm sure it was the problem. Try switching to a different one and see if it helps. BTW I have light silver blonde very curly hair so if they get trapped, they do burrow in and sting. If it is your neck they are going after, it might be your soap. Or any other fragrance on your skin, hair, clothes, etc.

#3 ·
I have shaggy snowboard/surfer hair and don't necessarily notice my bees attacking me, but if they do get near my head they usually get trapped by the hair...this makes them angry and I too have gotten stung from them due to this. I also how brown hair but am curious if blonde hair would be the same story as well.

#6 ·
Haa, ha! You folks are funny. I have short black hair with some grey in it. They don't seem
to bother me except to chase me away when they are mad. Mad bees!
I think it is the one hive smell that I work on without changing clothes that the second hive
bees like to chase me away and will not hesitate to sting if I don't leave their area. So second hive
got the mad bees smelling the first one on me. I wonder if you have the same issue here.

#8 ·
Shampooo emphisis on poooo..... Hair color is a factor.... dark spots are targets to bees.... Most experts think its something to do with bears. My goatee is a huge target. most get me there.

BUT being blonde wont solve the problem of tangled bees....

#13 ·
I was talking to a lady at the local produce stand last summer. they have bees and we bee talk sometimes. She said anyone can walk by the hives and not get bothered. Exception, her son. She couldn't understand. Men, women, no difference. Just him. I asked her if he wore sun glasses all the time. She said yes. I suggested, to the bees, he looks like a big eyed bear :)
Rick

#16 ·
I was not payign attention the other day when I went out to take a quick look in one of my hives. I was wearing a dark brown fleece shirt. I felt so appreciated that so many of my bees where coming out to great me. until realized they where not so pleased. Then I notice what I was wearing. They did not sting me but they sure had a lot of interest in what I was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.