Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Likely easy question regarding plastic frames

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jeremygrenon 
#1 ·
Hey folks! This is my first post here and I imagine for the first little bit I'll be offering more questions than answers. I'm purchasing equipment for a couple colonies that I'm putting on the property this summer and have a fair amount of stuff that was left here by the previous owner. I'm sorting through what I can and can't use, what needs to be cleaned and torched etc.. Most of it is making sense but I have run into a bit of a confusion that I hoped somebody could help me out with.

So there are a number of huge boxes of shallow plastic frames. They are bit different than what I fammiliar with (I'm not familliar with much).

So.. the top bar is narrow. Approx 5/8" wide.
the side bar is straight without a wide section at the top.. also approx 5/8" wide.

It seems I usually see wider top bars than side bars, and a bit of a wider section for the top few inches of the sidebar.

Anybody have any idea what I have here?

For whatever reason the attachment button does not work for me.
Does this question make sense to anybody? Any input would be very much appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok so this is kinda what I was thinking. There are metal strips with grooves in other piles of stuff that look as if they would help mantain the spacing spacing if they were attached to the top of the box. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this type of system before.

Also curious if I should be able to attach pictures or if the feature is disabled. I'll get on another pc and attach photos to make the question a bit clearer.

#4 ·
Welcome to Beesource!

Also curious if I should be able to attach pictures or if the feature is disabled.
Use the "Insert Image" icon on the toolbar to upload a photo, not the "attachment" feature. Having said that, I prefer to use a photo host like Photobucket.com and then link to those photos.

An easy solution is to open a free http://photobucket.com/ account, upload your photos to that site, and then link them here.

If you want a step-by-step guide to using Photobucket with Beesource, see post #8 of this thread:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Photo-pragram

The thread linked above is a guide for posting links that the reader needs to click on. You can also post photos inline that display with the text. Photobucket calls that "Direct", and then you need to use the "Insert Image" button on the Beesource message toolbar. Choose the URL tab, UN-click the checkbox, and paste the link.

#5 ·
Are there 72 per box?
Do they look like these?

http://www.pierco.net/products.htm

There are other manufacturers of similar products.
Some people hate them I like them and if they are in good condition would pay your way into an amusement park where you could see real Mermaids if you brought them down to me!

The metal things are probably frame rest to insure even spacing. I've never used them they look like a unneeded complication but bring those down as well I'll try them if they are free.

Welcome!

#9 · (Edited)
From a local beekeeper who felt he was too old to keep bees anymore I picked up 16 deeps (10 frames) with 9 black perco frames each all are drawn out with honey, pollen and brood comb. I inspected them by frame and blew them out with a compressor, then put them in the bee yard with only a bottom board. The bees have spent the entire week robbing them clean. When they are done I will freeze them for a week before I put them into service, which is redundant since they went through a 5 week period of consistent freezing conditions. Also picked up 28 medium supers (10 frames) with 8 perco frames with clips that were uncapped and extracted and they are stored in my shop and they will get the same treatment by the bees when they are done with deeps. I don't use chemical treatments and only raise local survivor stock that would do the very same thing if they came upon an empty hive on their own. I did a deep inspection yesterday of my hives and had no beetles, mites or wax moths. If the comb is beaten up badly freeze them for 3 days, throw together a simple jig to lay them flat on that holds them in place and use a 4" putty knife, round off the corners a bit and knock the wax down to above the raised hexes on plastic, if you're still worried make a bleach solution up and soak them for 3-5 minutes and then dry them for a week and reuse. I have plenty of new and old equipment and haven't seen a difference in how the bees use them. My mentor / friend practices the same approach and he is up to 30 + hives with no troubles.

#8 ·
Sounds like you have narrow gauge frames, they used to be more popular than they are today. Their spacing needs to be adjusted as befits their use, either with installed spacers, a portable spacing tool, or by hand. Self-spacing frames are usually a version of the Hoffman frame.

BTW, they are most commonly called End Bars in the U.S.A., though other terms are used for various hive components in other locations. See Dave Cushman's site, for much more information on this and other topics.

#10 ·
wow, that is so cool, thank you! I saw an ad on Craigs list selling deeps and mediums with plastic frames very cheap. So guess I am on my way this morning to take a look see and hopefully buy some. I've heard mixed reviews on the plastic, but it didn't make sense to me that the bees would veto it.
My bees have been out the last few days since the weather has been nice and warm, still have broken in to see what is going on inside. I get home from work a little later and don't want to upset them near dark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.